What does "Intensity" mean?

• I understand "intensity" while during cardios, but how do I "up" my intensity while lifting weights? Does it mean do it faster?? That doesn't seem right....
    Also, While doing the LBWO, Im not sure what to put down for weights in the abs section- I have been holding weights above my stomach while crunching- makes for a great burn, but I don't know if it's something that will hurt me. What is everyone else doing?? 

Stacy Lynn

• In weight training, intensity would be the most amount you can possibly lift without sacrificing form.  

You could also change the intensity of a weight workout by slowing down the cadence during your rep.  Say for example if you aren't quite ready to go up to the next weight, but the existing weight just doesn't feel challenging enough, try slowing down the lift and lowering of each rep.

holding weights is fine during abs.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Stacey: intesity is hard to do for abs for me too - its not like the regular increase in speed or weights. I have found that variation is key for me. Aside from "8 minute abs", I will do crunches on my ball, roman chair twists (this actually you CAN up the weights with if you have free weights), I sit on the edge of a bench, lean back then raise and lower BOTH legs together straight (that one is intense - I dont do too many of them), oblique cruches on the floor or by bending to the sides while standing and holding weights.

The list goes on and on....you need to write down what is working, what you find hard, and what is best not repeated. Each time you do abs, refer to your list and modify to continue getting stronger and more toned.

Here is a link that is loaded with different excercises and ideas -

www.muscleandstrength.com/.../main.html

Have fun!

• Thanks for the explanation-

You said intensity could be doing as many as you can without risking your form- I thought 1 we had to do the 12- 10-8-6 reps..... am I doing this wrong??

Stacy Lynn

• Roman chair twists! Its been years since I've done those! Thanks for reminding me about those!

Yes, I do the standing oblique bends while holding weights- I just now need to find use for the ankle weights which don't seem really affective at all!

Stacy Lynn

• Stacey: If you find an excercise you can do with increasing weights - Roman chair twists - yes you can do the 12,10, 8,6, 12 then switch to crunches or whatever for your second excercise, 12 reps.

I have found that for me, I go so far with weights then choose a more difficult excercise. For example, my 6 could be hanging from my chin up bar and lifting my knees to my chest, but my 12,810 etc could have been crunches with 15#, 20#, 25# weights.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'll go to my corner now.

• Stacy you are doing the 12, 10, 8, 6, 12, 12 correctly.  I'm on a roll of misreading posts lately. ;)

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• LOL- Outta that corner Legs- You are helping me at every turn today!!

Champster- No, you aren't misreading- I'm really glad to hear I'm doing it correctly- Thanks a bunch- it makes me feel ALOT better. I can stop chewing on my nails in worry now!

Stacy Lynn

• Intensity for cardio seems to be more straight forward than for weight lifting.  For cardio you just go faster, but for weight lifting it's usually about the amount of weight you can lift roughly 6-10 times.  Intensity in general is about pushing past your limits.  I think you truly know the moments when you break through those fitness barriers during workouts.

www.bodyathleticsblog.com

• www.bodyathleticsblog.com