weight gain

• ok I am 49 years old And I am 5 2 1/2  I weighted myself on Monday and I weighed 139 this morning I borrowed my neighbors scale and it said I weighed 142. I have been running for the last month about 5 days a week and started body for life 2 weeks ago so I have done 4 workouts with weights. I am eating very well too. Not adding any thing extra. whats up with the 2 pounds. ALl though I have lost about a quarter of an inch I can feel it and see it coming off my belly area.??

Thanks D

• I would stick to the same scale.

Chocolate Covered Broccoli

• Small weight increases may happen up to the 4th week.  They don't always happen but it's not uncommon that it does.  There are simple body chemical changes that happen, water weight, salt in take, free day enjoyment and even lack of bowel movements can have you hold weight from one day to the next.  Stay the course, eat to plan, the program works.  

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• I agree with using the same scale. On top of that you should try to weigh yourself right after you get out of bed in the morning. There are numerous things that can fluctuate your weight, from simple stuff like clothing and shoes, to water retention and undigested food. Also, any muscle mass increase usually comes with increased weight as well... but remember that this also means that your metabolism will increase too.

By weighing in at the same time every morning I get a good look at what is going on. At my size I fluctuate 3-4 lbs between going to bed and waking up in the morning.

Short answer: Don't be overly concerned with your weight while your beginning your strength training. Your body will be fluctuating quite a bit. =)