NEW: Gym Q's re Second Exercise and Exercise Variety

• Hello BFLers... I'm new just did C1W1D1 UBWO1

I have a couple of questions.

My first question is regarding the second exercise in the 2x12reps superset.  I completed the first set of 12 reps hitting about an 8 or a 9 level.  Then I moved immediately to the second exercise and on some body parts literally COULD NOT do the set.  I either could only do a few reps or could only partially complete the movement.  This happened on about half of my body parts.  Again I had no trouble with the weight on the first exercise x12 but moving into the second one could not complete.  What am I supposed to do about this?  Am I just supposed to do the number of reps that I can complete even if it is only two or three? Am I supposed to decrease the weight for the second exercise? Or should I choose another second exercise that I may be able to do more reps on?

My second question is... should I be doing the same exercises for every UBWO and LBWO? Or am I supposed to mix these up?

Thanks!

• If you can complete all your reps, the chances are your ready to raise the weight.  If you can't, then you either need to decrease or keep hitting your regimen until you're strong enough to get through it.  Sounds like you just need to keep working with that weight for now.  As long as you're hitting your 9s & 10s, you'll be fine.

Don't stress too much about only 8s & 9s on your first day.  You want to give it your best effort, but you don't need to hurt yourself.

There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

• So just to clarify, it is okay that I can only do one or two reps on the second exercise in the superset?

• I had this same question for myself. I asked my trainer (who helped her brother complete BFL and loose 100lbs) at the gym and she said it would be better to lower the weight. You don't want to sacrifice form or not completing the set.

• Okay, so I will do the first half of the superset with the weight that works and then lower for the second half... hopefully soon I'll be strong enough to do the whole thing with the same weight.  Thanks for your help.

• As long as your form is good on the 2 or 3 you can complete than that's fine.   You might experiment.  When you lower the weight can you do all 12?  If so then I'd go back to the higher weight.   If you still cannot do all 12 but you can do 6 or 8 then stick with the lower weight.   The most important thing is to totally exhaust your muscle in that last set.  Take it to total failure.  sometimes this happens in 4 or 5 reps for me.   Sometimes I get in all 12 and keep going until I hit total failure.  It may take 15 or 16 reps.  Then I know to increase my weights the next time.

• Okay, thanks again you guys I think I've got it now :)