Is Jillian Michael's Ok?

• I have a work out DVD by Jillian Michaels that I use sometimes as my cardio.  The DVD is No More Trouble Zones.  Its an awesome dvd that incorporates high reps, low weight with a lot of circut training.  It really gets me going and is pretty difficult. 

Does anyone know if this is ok?  I still do lower and upper body weights on alternating days as well.

Thanks,

Natalie

• Yes, as long as it's raising your heartrate the way HIIT cardio does, I don't see a problem with it.

Mike

• I am very familiar with this video as I use it on weight training days because that is the purpose of the video- to tone and circuit train with weights. Yes, it does get your heart rate up, but not from cardio. I really wouldn't use it as a cardio sub, but for weights, yes.

Check out the "Boost Your Metabolism" DVD by Jillian Michaels; it is an intense cardio workout intended for high heart rate through cardio and not weights.

Just an FYI.

-Katiebug

"The joy of life is the fruit of discipline" -S. Randall

• Katiebug,

Thanks for the info.  I would love to use that video on the weighttraining days.  I work and go to school so anything I can do in my house instead of going to the gym is great.  I am working on getting a home gym started but the weights can be pricey to get a full set of 10-20 lbs.  I am definitely going to get the "Boost Your Metabolism" DVD.  How long is the DVD?

Thanks,

Natalie

• Natalie,

The DVD is the same length the first one is- about 55min. total, I think. I, too, am extremely busy and I love to work out at home and these two videos have been my favorites so far.

• Okay hold up a sec.... if it's using weights then no don't use it on your cardio days.  You need to give your muscles a break from lifting so they can heal and grow.   I also wouldn't use it for weight training days as it was said in the original post it is low weight/high reps.   Body for Life is big weight/low reps.   The idea is to push as much weight in the fewest amount of reps to tear up your muscle so it can rebuild and gain muscle and boost metabolism.  Jillian's sounds more like a toning program rather than a building program like BFL.

My opinion....stick to the program the way it is written in the book and it will work!   Alter it too much and you will hinder your results.  You can either do Jillian Michaels  or you can do Body for Life.

• IMHO - If you desire Body for Life results, follow the Body for Life plan....there is no need for videos. High reps low weights is great for stamina, endurance...not BUILDING of lean muscle. That is your own personal choice.

• Hi Natalie!

If your trying to build a home gym, try looking for weights & equipment at places like the Salvation Army, second hand shops, craigslist.com. You might find a good deal!

I have a home gym, took us a while to get what we needed, it seems to grow as we (my husband & I) do! As we get stronger we slowly add more weights.

Why would you want to do tapes when this workout program takes less than 4 hours a week? You can listen to music YOU like, and by keeping a log of what your doing, you grow & build as your body tells you to. I have tons of tapes but I love this workout program so much better!

Good luck!

Live   Love   Lift!

Dee :)

• I think that the point was that sometimes we just don't have time to get to the gym, or we can't takes kid(s) to the gym, etc. Not to place the videos in a permanent spot of the program. On Saturdays (or holidays), I have to do a video bc my kid is home and I can't take her to the gym.

Again, this is one of those situations where my humble opinion for myself is that I make the program work for my life, I don't work my life around it. I get my workouts in every day and I eat clean and feel great, so that is what inspires me to go on. I do trust the program as it is!

Good luck to all-

• Natalie,

It's easy to turn the BFL program into a "trap" where you feel constrained by feeling like if you do anything different from the book during your 12 week time, you've blown it. This is NOT true. Yes you should try to follow the plan in the book as close as possible if you want the results BFL can produce, but lets don't shoot ourselves mentally if we want a little variety in our workouts.  I think the main purpose of BFL is to help teach people (long term), how to eat clean and get into a regular exercise routine so they can live a healthier lifestyle for the rest of their life. I think this is the true spirit of the program.  

The main point I'm trying to make is keep moving, do your workouts that consistently challenge your body, and keep eating clean. If you feel you need to do a JM video occasionally to break up the monotany, go for it!  Just don't stray too far from the program lined out in the BFL book, otherwise you're no longer doing BFL; you're doing something else. Remember....take it a day at a time and NEVER GIVE UP reaching for your goals!

Mike

• Thank you everyone for your posts.  I has helped me shed some light on what i really want and need.  I think my main problem (and want/need to do a DVD) is getting in cardio on the days that I get home late or dont have time to drive to the gym.  Either way I will somehow figure it out.

Thank you again for everyone advice!!!

Natalie