questions about weight training and the high point technique

• im in to my first week of the programme. I have a few concerns. Will weight lifting make me bulky? I want to look lean. Till what point do I keep increasing the weights and when should i increase the weights?

I have started doing the step ups for my llower body workout and my knees are killling me. It has got so bad that even when i get up from the floor my knee pains. Is this because of my weight or is it because of the exercise. What do i do? sometimes I feel that the progressive manner of weight training is putting too much pressure on my legs.

I dont think Im doing my cardio properly. I tried doing the high point technique on the elliptical trainer as follows: 2 min warmup level 6, 1 minute level 8, 1 minute level 10, 1 minute level 12, 1 minute level 14.I did my 19th and 20th minute at level 16 which was i felt was my high point. I repeated the cycle 3 times.My heart rate was always somewhere between 150-165 and peaked to around 170 However, i was a bit demotivated at the end of the workout because the ellipitical trainer showed that i just burned about 195 calories. Prior to following the bfl cardio workout, i was burning around 420-450 calories in 45 minutes.

• First off are you female?  I lift as heavy as many men do and I am in no way bulky.  A pound of muscle takes up 1/3 the space in your body as a pound of fat does.  Not to mention a pound of muscle burns more calories.  Lift as heavy as you can and still maintain proper form.  You can read a lot of supporting data at www.hussmanfitness.org.

I'm not sure from your post if you are working out at home or in the gym but if at the gym you can do leg extensions instead of step ups.  If you are working out at home you can do squats instead.  

As to the data on the machines like the elliptical, don't get lost in that information.  Don't be disappointed in that information.  Anything you burn is a whole lot better than if you were sitting on the sofa.  Be confident in the fact that YOU are on that machine doing something for YOU.

The best way I can discribe HIIT high points is that you shouldn't be able to talk when you are in your highest level peaks.  It will be unpleasant true, but then at least you know you've hit the high point.  Again, HIIT is different than anything you are used to.  You are getting the maximum fat burning results in the minimum amount of time spent. So give those levels as much as you have and stay the course.

Be patient with the process, you will get more and more comfortable as the weeks go by.  

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Im a male and i work out at the gym. Thanks alot for the advice.

• Excellent.  Definately switch up on the step ups for now.  Work your way back up to them.  You shouldn't be experiencing "pain" in anything you do.  DOMS delayed onset muscle soreness yes, but not pain.

Are you doing the step ups for quads or hamstrings?

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory