Your Cardio distance

• Hey all,

I was wondering what distance people are going with their 20min cardio.... The ones who run the treadmills anyway. I usually make it to about 2.2-2.3 miles. I try to bump my speed in little bits every time to increase the distance my goal is 2.5miles by the end of my challenge and that's 3 weeks. I have a friend that has just reached 3miles... that is crazy. 

• Depends what your doing. Once i reached 2.5 miles i started to increase the incline instead of speed. 2.5 miles translates to doing your intensity levels by MPH, i.e. 6=6, 7=7, etc. So if your goal is fat burn then keep trying to increase your distance. If your looking to up your leg strength/calf size, then keep your intensity levels, and work on increasing the incline 1 degree a week

• My goal was to reach 2.5miles in 20 minutes. I hit it on Day 83 (last cardio day). It was such a big deal to me because I've never been a runner. When I started, I could only do 1.75mi!  I would increase by 0.1 each time. It was slow progress, but the timing worked out exactly right. If you're at 2.3 mi now, you can hit 2.5 in 3 weeks! Go for it!!

• OMG - you guys are so awesome! What pace are you running at? My best time for a 5k was 34:00 - I would be thrilled to make 3 miles in 30 minutes; 25 would rock my world!!   I should add I'm just starting BFL.

• I am going to try my best for 2.5. After I run that for a couple of weeks I will start the incline. Good posts guy/gals

• I do mostly treadmill work also but have never really taken note of my distance covered. I do know this that the incline makes a huge difference.....even a "2" which is what I always run at. My speeds are 5mph. warmup...then 5.5-6.0-6.5-7.0 then my final peak is 7.5. If you are running flat on the treadmill it is much easier than even a small incline.

fit4life "The dream must be bigger than the pain"

• I run about 2.3 on a .5 incline -- I run on an incline because my doctor says it's easier on my knees (I had knee surgery a few years ago).  My (admittedly high) goal is 3 miles by the end of the Challenge -- I'm in Week 5 now.  

• I make it to 2.5 at 20 minutes right now.  I have 2 weeks left to rock this challenge and I'm going to get to 2.75 by my last workout!  I would love to get to 3 miles one of these days.   I got up to 9.5 for my 10 today - so I will enjoy that last accomplishment.  It's amazing what your body will do if you give it clear directions.

runninggrl :)

• Runninggrl....those are very impressive speeds.....You'd be blowing by me no problem!!

• Thanks fit4life - but I have to say I need to bump up my incline - I only have it at 1, so wmy numbers might be a little lower at a 2.   I started off MUCH slower in the beginning and I've really had to dig deep for  my 10s.  I really appreciate the compliment.  Some days I feel like maybe I could have done more (even though I'm dying) so it's nice to hear the word "impressive".  

runninggrl :)

• The whole cardio thing is something I do only because I know it's good for me. I could work out my UB everyday if I could. I've actually had days where I have golfed 18 holes then come home and cut the grass and considered that my cardio. Not exactly BFL style but I know I burned a lot of calories. You seem to have a gift for running as some others do so keep going strong. All the best!

• LOL I am a wee lass of only 5 foot 1... so I am pretty psyched that my short little stubbs can take me  1.5 in 20 minutes! hahahah! I use the Garmin Forerunner and I run outside on trails through the woods with hills...so I use the info from that. I have been seeing improvements each week though! I can cover more distance and have better average and max pace. I love my Forerunner, it even has a heart rate monitor and I can see all stats for each minute of my run if I want!  

• Hey CD21,

I do 2.1 miles and 380 feet of incline over my 20 minutes which includes a 2 minute warm up period with no incline.  I try and leave my speed constant for the most part and use the incline to reach my high points.  My max one minute incline is at 7 for now, and I normally go in one minute increments to inclines of 1, 3, 5, 7 and then back to 1.   I started 10 weeks ago at 1.45 miles and 155 feet of incline.  

I chart my weekly progress and strive to always post a better distance and elevation every week.

I think the main thing is being goal oriented and working to hit your high points.  If you do this your numbers will continue to climb.  

Good Luck!

Todd

• Thanks so much for this thread guys and girls I HATE doing my cardio but count it as a necessary evil. Thing is I have no idea how far I'm running and this thread has actually made me look forward to my cardio tomorrow so i can find out.

TSo thanks :0)

Small steps win the race!

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh

• I am hitting right around 3 miles right now.  In January it was 2.6 and now it is between 2.95 and 3.0.

Last year at the same time I was at 2.3 or so .... so big improvements have been made by just sticking with it and forcing myself through it.