Serving sizes in the Eating for Life recipes

• Are serving sizes designated in the book Eating for Life recipes consistent with proper calorie intake for a female body-for-lifer? Are the weekly plans too much for a woman or just the right amount? My husband is starting also, does he eat the same serving size as designated in the recipe as me?

• Hi LIssAnn74 ~

That's a loaded question.  The answer to portion sizes is that the portions shown are 1/2 between the right one for a woman and a man.  I believe Bill talks about this on page 73 or 74.  Don't hold me to that.  Your actual question is far more thoughtful, about if consistent with proper calorie intake and the answer is NO.  There was a time we could get the nutritional information for each recipe online.  It was shocking.  Most all of EFL is totally out of whack for the BFL contest.  It's been regarded more as something to use during maintenance.  It's pretty good for ideas on how to maybe cook something healthier.  You and your husband should each eat the portion size appropriate for your respective bodies, which likely means his portion should be larger.  The meal plan in there is too much for anyone.  There's a lot of grains, sauces, cheese, and things he really doesn't support in the actual BFL book.  

...sorry.  

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• I would suggest reading the Eating For Life book and BFL for woman.

• Do read BFL for Women, though follow BFL, the original.  All the pictures shown in BFL for Women were done with the original BFL.  BFL for Women does have some valuable nutritional information.  BFL for Women is watered down, with the offensive presumption that women are weaker, and not just in lifting less, but as people.  I reject that! 

• I like the Eating for Life book because it shows me how to make meals instead of using the food list to combine chicken and rice.  They use low-fat cheese and condiments such as light sour cream and light ricotta which are allowed.  I think the recipes are healthy but you are smart to be aware of your portion size.  As a female, the portion sizes are usually too big for me.  The pancakes can make 3-4 servings for me (and what a blessing it is to eat pancakes every day!).  If you look at your plate and believe your serving is more than the palm size protein and fist size carb, it's too much.  I can also tell if more portions are too big during the day because I won't be hungry for my sixth meal.  Hope that helps :)

• I also like the EFL cookbook for showing me how to better make things, though low-fat cheese and most of those condiments, such as light sour cream are not authorized.  

At one time there was a site for EFL that listed all of the nutritional value and it blew many of us away, how incredibly out of whack those recipes are to BFL Challenge needs.