First Meal... it seems like a TON of food?

• Hello all,

I'm stepping into this and after my first meal, I've already got questions.

Looking at the sample menus, and the First Week Eating Plan, I cobbled together a list for the week.  Super simple stuff.  For breakfast this morning I had about 3/4 of a cup of egg beaters scrambled with spinach and a piece of wheat toast.  That felt like a HUGE amount of food.  I know it doesn't sound like much, but I have no idea how I'll be hungry in a few hours.  Does that sound right?

MyFitnessPal shows it as 23g of protein and 18 carbs.  Sounds pretty close.  Does that sound about right?  I mean the protein portion once scrambled was definitely bigger than the width of my palm.  I'm 5'8" and 165.  Any advice would be appreciated.

• If you feel like it is too muc, you could read the label on the egg beater carton and go with the reccommended serving size. I remember it looking rather small, but with one piece of toast and some veggies it should make a decent meal. You can also look at the label to get the accurate nutritional info. If you writeit down once, you can just make the same meal again and not have to read the label every time. For me, I didn't start reading labels until my 2nd challenge, during which I was unsure if I was eating too much because my progress had slowed. I was getting lax with measuring portions, so the old palm/fist trick was decieving. Or maybe I should say my EYES were deceiving!

Personally I can't eat a whole lot in the morning, so I have a shake or a bar and save my other meals for later. Usually a breakfast type meal is more appealing to me for dinner time.

• Thanks for the response.  Checking the label was actually my initial response.  A serving from egg beaters is:

1/4 cup =

30 calories

1g of carbs

6g protein

So, my breakfast portion being 3/4 cup was effectively

90 calories

3g carbs

18g protein

I mean, the math sounds right...but, still?

• Never done egg beater stuff before.  Just remember palm size worth of protein, fist full of carbs and fist full for healthy fat.  When I first was doing this program back in 01, I thought that was a very small meal.  I was 5'6" 184lbs and I ate a lot of food(in 1 sitting).  But, if you eat that 3 times a day and have your snacks the other 3...you will see the difference.  For me, back then, I was eating 5 complete meals, only because of the type of work I was doing and my hrs.  I would split my first meal in 2 because of time.  I would eat a small meal of 1cup oatmeal at 4am, then I would eat my 2 eggs at 5:30 while I was at work waiting to clock in.  Ate a full meal at 9am break, then another at 12pm break.  Head home and ate another full meal at 4:30pm....my workout was at 6pm back then and then ate again at 7pm, then my snack at 9pm...lol...Sounds like a lot of food, but I got down to 160lbs in those 12 weeks.  My job did help too.  Loading trucks for 10hrs.

Tis better to look UP in the mirror to be inspired than to look DOWN at the scale and lose your desire!! - SEM

• Thanks squid. I just got the eggbeaters stuff as I had read on some different posts here about folks using that for ease.  I need these meals to be quick and easy to fit my schedule.  It says that a cup of the liquid is equal to the whites of 4 eggs.  So, about 1/4 cup per egg.  So I guess it all works out.

For lunch today I had about 4 oz of shredded chicken breast on two pieces of wheat bread.  If I can make this work with simple scrambles/toast in the morning, chicken sandwiches at lunch, and some shakes (and then make dinner have my variety), I think I'll be setup well.  

• Have you tried preparing your meals ahead of time?  What kind of chicken are you using for your sandwiches?  Try and stay away from deli style meats...way to much sodium and will hold water weight.  Grill, bake or pan fry(no oil) your own and slice it up yourself. You can grill up some fish, chicken, turkey breast and freeze for later.  Heat and eat is the best quick way...lmao

Tis better to look UP in the mirror to be inspired than to look DOWN at the scale and lose your desire!! - SEM

• Always remember that though you are eating more often under the program that you are eating smarter, cleaner and smaller meals than three or four gigantic bigger meals normally done. Be sure to use the hand and fist method for carbs and proteins too!!! Hope this helps out.

• Thanks all.  Yes, the chicken is all grilled.  I just go to Costco and buy the big packs of it.   I'm still trying to figure out my portion sizes.  Sometimes they seem spot on, and other times they seem off.  But I'm tracking my food intakes in MyFitnessPal.  My numbers are coming up seemingly where they should and I'm pretty close to the 40/40/20 ratios.  I'm trying to get about 20-30g of protein and 20-30g of carbs per meal with things like chicken, egg whites, wheat bread, wheat tortillas, and myoplex shakes.  I'd say I'm hitting in at about 1100-1200 calories a day and drinking as much water as I can get down!

i think part of the issue might be that even before this I didn't eat regular meals.  I usually never had breakfast and wouldn't have my first meal until a late lunch around 1:00, then a late dinner around 8:30 or so... just I would usually eat a bunch at those two meals.  So, eating first thing in the morning is a bit of a strange feeling.

I think I just need to figure out the correct portion sizes and that will be very helpful.  Trying to set a protein/carb goal for each meal seems like it is helping.

• Hey JRM - I just finished my first week and the meals do get a little obsessive..am I eating at the right time?, is it the right amount?, etc.  I am trying no bread this week (just oatmeal, rice and potato).  So far so good.  I am also tracking on my fitness pal and it seems to help.  Here is what today looked like.  Any thoughts/observations are appreciated.

Food Diary For:          

Tuesday July 16, 2013        

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
    Egg - Egg, Large , 1 large egg               72 0 5 6 71 0 Ico_delete              
    Mccann's - Quick Cooking Irish Oatmeal - Not Flavored, 1/2 cup               150 26 2 5 0 0 Ico_delete              
    Egg - Egg White Only, 3 white               51 1 0 12 165 1 Ico_delete              

273 27 7 23 236 1
    Lunch
    Uncle Ben's B - Instant Brown Rice!, 1 cup cooked               170 36 2 4 0 0 Ico_delete              
    Generic - Fresh Raw Ahi Sushi Grade Tuna, 3 oz. uncooked               120 0 2 21 30 0 Ico_delete              
    Fish - Salmon (Atlantic), Raw, 2 oz               104 0 6 12 34 0 Ico_delete              

394 36 10 37 64 0
    Dinner
    Homemade - Small Baked Potato With Skin*, 7 oz               128 29 0 3 0 0 Ico_delete              
    Publix - 9 oz Filet Mignon-Livestrong, 4.5 ounces               246 0 11 36 75 0 Ico_delete              
    Generic - Broccoli, Fresh, Raw, Chopped or Diced, 1 cup (91g)               31 6 0 3 24 2 Ico_delete              

405 35 11 42 99 2
    Snacks
    Genuine Muscle Milk - Vanilla Creme - Contains No Milk - Lactose Free-20g Protein, 35 g               150 9 6 16 160 2 Ico_delete              
    Quest Bar - Chocolate Peanut Butter (Net Carbs), 1 Bar (60g)               160 2 5 20 270 1 Ico_delete              
    Eas Advant Edge Carb Control - Dark Chocolate Protien Shake, 11 oz               110 6 3 17 360 0 Ico_delete              

420 17 14 53 790 3

Totals 1,492 115 42 155 1,189 6

• jrm27- what you are doing sounds right. If you are getting 23g of protein in one meal that sounds good.  BFL recommends around 1g of protein per pound of body weight per day. With 6 meals you are coming in 138g which is pretty close to your weight.  I use egg beaters regularly and it has quite a bit of volume. A palm sized portion of egg beaters is NOT going to have the same protein content and calories as a palm sized portion of lean pork or chicken which are quite dense.

Remember one of the reasons why BFL works is because it isn't a diet. You aren't reducing the amount of food you eat which is a recipe for disaster.  You are eating the right food and that makes all the difference.  I remember in my first challenge I had to practically force the 6th meal down and I lost 43 pounds of fat.