Greek yogurt- Protein or Carb?

• Greek yogurt has 24g protein in 1 cup and 11carbs.  Should this be a carb or protein?  I know when BFL was written yogurt was considered a carb, but what about Greek Yogurt?

BFLermom

• With those macros, a protein...eat with small fruit serving to make perfect meal.  Be careful though, not all greek yogurts are equal!  Keep reading your labels. =)

• One more thing to know about Greek yogurt:  As long as you get a good quality one, and they are out there, yours with 24 grams of protein sounds like one, though I found one with 18 grams of protein but just 7 carbs.  Either would likely be good.  Here's the other input:  The carbs in Greek Yogurt are simple carbs, like sugar or maybe fructose (only slightly more complex than simple sugar which is also known as glucose).  You will note that some fruits (source of fructose) are listed on the approved carbs list, I suspect because there is other nutritional value to fruit besides just the sugar or simple carbs content.  That said, more complex carbs are much better than simple carbs.  They tend to have more nutritional value, and because they take more effort to break down in your system, eventually to glucose to be used for energy, they burn more calories in the process, and they provide a more sustained level of energy.   So what does this have to do with the Greek yogurt issue?  Frankly, a serving of a quality Greek yogurt could be a meal in itself, both the protein and the carbs.  My suggestion, since it may be a tad light on the carbs side, and simple rather than complex carbs, my suggestion would be, if you want, to add a small amount of some kind of more complex carb to the Greek yogurt.  Vegetables, that you are supposed to add to at least two of your six small meals a day, are one such more complex carb, so that would do it, maybe cold broccoli or carrots for instance, that you could munch on the side If you prefer not to puree.  Though adding fruit to a Greek yogurt might taste good, and wouldn't be terrible, given that you'd be adding more simple carbs/sugars, I'd suggest not fruit.  There are any number of more complex carb choices on the approved list.  Food for thought anyway.  I hope you find it useful.

• I disagree about the fruit.  I don't think you should eat it at every meal, but IMO, one or two servings a day are good for you.  Yes, it's a simple carb, as you explain, but it's also something that's naturally grown on our earth, so there's a lot more nutritional value to it.  I wouldn't recommend having the largest apple you can find in the supermarket...I usually stick to the smaller size fruits because, as you stated Nater, there are sugars in the fruit, so I don't want to add a ton of sugar to my diet.  However, I've eaten 1 to 2 servings of fruit everyday of my current challenge, and found it hasn't really effected my results when compared to my previous challenges where I was a little more hesitant to eat fruit so regularly.  With that being said, I usually only eat fresh fruit.  I don't think i'd ever try canned fruit, as you never know what they put in the can to help with preserving it.  

I enjoy having a Greek yogurt once or twice a week.  I usually accompany it with another source of protein, but I usually have it later in the day, when I try to watch my carb intake, so I don't usually have another carb with it.  Good luck everyone!

-Mike

• One other thing to note about Greek yogurt is to get plain and read the label. Ones with fruit or honey will have more sugar and thus a higher carb content (plus the artificial sugars from the added fruits, which you don't want/need). Greek yogurts like Fage, Chobani and Oikos generally have 20-24g protein and 8g carbs per 7-8oz container. I personally do like fruit with my yogurt, but will generally choose something with a lower glycemic index, such as blueberries or strawberries, over something higher like a banana.

Despite the fact fruits are simple carbohydrates, they are also packed full of micronutrients and fiber, and some such as pineapple are full of helpful enzymes like bromelain which is used by athletes as a holistic anti-inflammatory (vs something like Advil). So don't knock fruits until you've done all your research on their benefits, not just their drawbacks.

• Thank you for the added insight into Greek yogurt and into fruit's other benefits.  I knew there were other nutritional benefits of fruit, in addition to the added calories burned to turn even a simple carb like fruit into glucose (simple sugar) so the body can burn it.; I just didn't know much about those other benefits other than the extra fiber.  Fruit definitely has value, and your input was informative.

There are clearly reasons select fruits are included in the approved carb list.  I was simply mentioning my understanding of the simple carb called fructose's place in the chain of carb complexity, and why though I include some fruit each week, I don't over do it.  There are many advantages to more complex carbs than fruit, including other nutritional content, and including that the body burns even more calories to break down more complex carbs into the glucose that it needs for energy.  But fruit has it's place, absolutely.

Bottom line (In my opinion):  Include fruit in your diet, weekly if not daily, but don't over do it, and as a general rule make a point of selecting the more complex carbs most of the time.  Also, when you do have that craving for simple sugars, candy or some quick energy fix like maybe a Coke (my downfall), fruit with its simple carbs is a great substitute, maybe just an orange or an apple, much better for you, with almost as quick an energy hit, but a bit more sustained, and nowhere near the depressive downside that simple sugars give a short time later.