FIBER?

• Not a lot of fiber anywhere in the BFL diet that I can see - proteins and carbs don't generally fall into that category...  Any suggestions?  Before BFL I maintained a bran-flakes-in-the-morning routine; still doing that but it does not seem to be enough.  BTW - I'm 54, male started at 205 and I'm down to 189 after @ 6 weeks. Feeling pretty good about that.  I wish you all well & hope I can get to 175 or so......

• Depends on what you mean by "a lot". The focus on whole grains for carbs means a BFL diet normally has more fiber than a roughly equivalent diet using processed carbs.

When I analyzed a bunch of representative meals based on the palm-and-fist method, the average I came up with was grams of fiber being about 10% of grams of carbs. Over eight weeks my daily fiber intake has ranged anywhere from around 7%-18% of carbs.

Veggies and beans are probably some of your best sources. Broccoli is my favorite - fiber is over 50% of carbs and there's nearly 11g fiber per 100 calories - but beans and lentils will get you more per unit volume (a half-cup of either has about as much fiber as three cups of broccoli).

Congrats by the way - dropping 16 lbs in 6 weeks is great progress!

• As mstickles says. Fiber comes mainly from those barely-mentioned two portions (or more? did it say "at least?" I can't remember the quote) of veggies. Probably a bigger focus on fiber would have been better, but the book was clearly written as a motivational tool for getting people onto a diet so simple that it can be followed without too much number-tracking. Bill explained very little of the science, oversimplified what he explained, and avoided anything complicated. He focused on getting people started and keeping them on track, not on educating. Using high-fiber veggies would definitely add to the feeling of satiety if you're not feeling full, plus all the other benefits of a high-fiber diet.

• Bran Flakes = Urghh for quality

Fruit is a carb.  Fruit has fiber.

Veggies are carbs, but counted separately here.  Veggies have fiber.

Eat enough broccoli and you are fine by way of fiber.

Also remember that WW has instilled in people the need for more fiber.  The reality is that we need 15-25g of fiber per day.  More is actually not good, as it prevents the absorption of important nutrients, such as calcium. 

In short, eat more green veggies.  There's no question that Bill dumbed down the science.  I will defend him on this in saying that the 2 veggies per day and fruit is a carb rule, fiber is naturally taking care of your fiber needs. 

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• I didn't mean to suggest that dumbing down the science was a bad thing. He was writing a handbook, and handbooks have to be usable. I mentioned it only because for those who are looking specifically at current nutritional science, it's worth knowing that  BFL has stood the test of time, in terms of the science. And the things that aren't precisely correct (e.g., muscle does not directly use as many calories as Bill sort of suggests) are still effectively true (an overall higher ratio of muscle to fat leads to a higher metabolic rate, but only after a period of time during which your body tries to adjust by lowering the metabolic rate, which is in turn partially counteracted by using the free day to prevent the body from doing that as much as it otherwise might).