Pasta? Corn tortillas?

• I'm not sure what a portion is for pasta. Is it the size of my fist dry or cooked?

Also, I know corn is allowed. What about corn tortillas? I can make my own...

If it is allowed what would the serving size be? ....2 tortillas?

Thanks for your help.

• So I think I've got an idea of what a portion of pasta is now. At first I was just going by a serving size given on the box but that was way to much.

Also, I think I'm just going to go ahead with the corn tortillas unless I hear otherwise. This opens up new possibilities for meals: carne-asada tacos with lime and pico gallo, egg and salsa rojo tacos, chicken and salsa rojo tacos.....yum. I'll make my serving size 2 small tortillas.

Are canned vegetarian pinto beans allowed?

• Hey Modest Mom

How do you make the tortillas is the big question?  Whole wheat are "allowed" and so is corn so I dont see why not  :)

This is challenge 2 for me (with wonderful results thus far) and we had vegetarian refried beans more then several times..Huevos Rancheros of sorts lol   Brown rice (sometimes a dry pan seared wheat tortilla in place of) 1 whole egg 5 additional egg whites, little bit of low fat shredded cheese, refried beans dab of salsa YUM!!!!

Pasta is just about a cup of cooked if you are still on the fence about that.  I use barilla whole grain thin spaghetti with homemade marinara (can of whole tomatoes i crush with a spoon, tablespoon of olive oil, little garlic tons of fresh basil) with some turkey meatballs  :)

Best of luck to you

Jodi

• For most women, pasta is 1/2 cup cooked.  I love brown rice pasta.

How do you make your corn tortillas?  If using oils, you may need to incorporate as your fat portions.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• I make the tortillas with a bag of Maseca. The recipe just calls for water and salt.

Ingredients: Selected corn treated with lime.

Serving size 1/4 cup (which should make about 2 tortillas)

calories: 110

Total fat: 1g ( zero saturated fat and zero trans fat)

cholesterol: 0

sodium: 0

Total carbohydrate: 23 g (sugars: 1 g, Dietary Fiber: 2 g)

Protein: 3 g

Maseca is found in most grocery stores in the hispanic food section. There are two kinds but as long as the pag says it can be used to make tortillas it should work.

So what do you think could this be a clean carb?

I don't think my salsa rojo is alowed. I discovered it has 3 grams of saturated fat in 1 cup.

I mix up the dough. Take a portion of dough and place it between two sheets of plastic (I cup a grocery sack). Press dough in a circular motion until very thin- about 5 or 6 inches in diameter. Carefully remove tortilla from plastic and place on heated hot plate. flip to other side. This is the tricky part for me. You're suppose to be able to get the tortillas to puff up with air if you've done it correctly, but mine don't always. Maybe 1 out of 10 will for me, but I think they still come out okay anyway.

• In Bill's cookbook he has a recipe for "Mom's Chicken Enchiladas"  that uses corn tortillas, and 2 equals 1 serving. This recipe gets rave reviews on different sites, and I think it's the one Bill refers to as his favourite. The photo looks fabulous. I'm going to try it this weekend.

• Where do I find "Bill's cookbook?" Sounds great I'd love to try it too.

• It's called "Eating for Life" and I got mine at Chapter's in Canada, but you could  get it through Amazon or a bookstore in the US if that is where you live. It's a big book and has lots of great recipes, and sections for main meals, mid-meals, desserts, shakes.