Eating after workout?

• Hi, am I supposed to eat within in hour after working out? Or wait an hour first before eating? Thanks

• within an hour, don't wait.

• It depends on the kind of workout.  If cardio, then wait an hour.  If strength training, then within a 1/2 hour.

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• lol ya ok jessica.

• That is the recommendation of EAS and in the BFL book.  Also, it's consistent, unlike what you have said.  You used to say it didn't matter.  Having trouble keeping up with yourself, Charlie?  

• The hour after cardio is to maximize fat burning.  You have within a 1/2 hour of strength training to fuel your muscles and especially in the case of men, replenish glycogen.  

• Hey Jessica,

Cheers, i did know about the hour after cardio, but not the 1/2 hour after weights, but that does make sense aye.  Perhaps thats why i get so darn grumpy during/after weights, im waiting to long to eat!!

• Jessica - Mighty Max

That is the recommendation of EAS and in the BFL book.  Also, it's consistent, unlike what you have said.  You used to say it didn't matter.  Having trouble keeping up with yourself, Charlie?  

it doesn't matter, 15/30/45/60 minutes. Eat when you get home from your workout wherever that time frame may fall. When you do this it falls within the hour.

• What specific and scientific reasons do you have for being in disagreement with EAS / Bill Phillips?

• i dont care about scientific reasons/studies.

I live in the real world. I deal with real world results. What some study claims to prove is irrelevant to me and to my clients if they do not provide real world results.

I have eaten as soon as 5 minutes after either weights or cardio and have taken as long as 60 minutes when I originally started BFL. Fat loss never slowed and lbm has never seen a decrease.

For me it's about doing what is neccessary to get results. Having someone intentionally not eat, especially when they are hungry, for 60 minutes misses the big picture.

Once again, if someone follows this rule, that is fine. I have never seen a lack of results from eating sooner than 1 hour post workout.

• You don't know if fat loss slowed because you don't have a comparison.  That's not even anecdotal.  Since you don't have any real information, then you should be answering with what the original BFL book says.  You were flippant with me for answering with what the book says.  That's just ridiculous.  People come here for help and it's best to guide them along with the book.  It's one thing to discuss different theories, but to claim something and not be able to back it up is harmful.  

There are people who eat McDonald's every single day and stay thin.  There are people who have good musculature without doing any strength training.  There are variables.  This isn't about YOU. This is about this program and overall what is best.

• what are you talking about. If I have a client who has 200 lbs lbm/50 lbs fm and the next week he is 200 lbs/lbm and 49 lbs fm, then he lost 1 lb. So if he lost 1 lb of fat from the week prior while not losing any lbm, then that would be a success. So yes I do have a comparison, it's another week and another lb of fat has been lost.

• You missed that?  You don't know if he would have lost more fat or gained more muscle had it done it according to how the studies say would be best.  So you don't have a comparison.  

And again, it would still only be anecdotal even if there were a relevant comparison, which it is not.  Overall it is best to do it how BFL prescribes.  Are there one offs?  Of course, but that's not what we're talking about here.

• Jessica - I have a question about eating post workout.

Is the meal that you are consuming right after your workout suppose to be counted as 1 meal from the 5-6 you are allowed each day?  I've read on the forum that it is best to either have a bar or shake (RTD) right after a workout because it will help give you the energy you need from the workout.

I usually try to time my work out so that after I am done, I am going to have my next meal within the hour or so.  For example, if my workout is at 5pm...I'm done by 545pm/6pm and then try to eat by 645pm/7pm.  I get my last shake/bar in around 9/10pm before bedtime.

Just need some clarification as I'm trying to follow the program, but not real sure if I'm doing it right.    

• Jessica - I have a question too.  Sometimes after working out I can't eat until about 60 to 90 minutes after - I get that we should wait with cardio so I think I am fine there but is it harmful to wait that long after my weight training.  Thanks for the help.