Carbs, not dietary fat, cause obesity? (A discussion of fat loss/gain and not total body weight)

• Better read it again, that's all I can say.  

It sounded very much like what he said.  His main thought was balancing the proteins/fats/carbs, so unless I read it wrong, he made is point correctly.  Very much was my trainer has taught me.

• You read it wrong, at least the part I was talking about.  That's what I've been trying to say.  

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• No, I did not.  I read it three times, and again, but sometimes we read thing quickly and maybe that's what happened with you.  Every thing Bill was putting out there was very factual.  It made perfect sense.

I don't know if you have a personal trainer, but maybe you should talk to one. I can't see anything wrong with his first post.    

• No, that is not what happened with me.  It is not factual to say that calories in versus calories out is the only factor in weight loss.  It's simply not that black and white.  My point was that there were many factors.  Then you came back and said that was Bill's point, which it was not.

lol.  I have a trainer that is Poliquin and Bompa certified.  He strongly disagrees with you.  

You have mischaracterized Bill's post and mine.  Please step out of this and respect that Bryan is trying to get this thread back to his original point.

• Not really, but if you have to be correct, by all means.  

Like I said, I agree with Bill's post.  End of discussion...

• You can agree all you like, but it's wrong to say calories in versus calories out is the only factor in weight gain / loss.  On this I am correct.  Again, never said calories weren't a factor.  In fact, the main one, but there are others.  

• End of discussion Jessica...he did not say that.  He said essentially that's what is comes out too.  

I guess you can talk to others about it, just not me...

• He did say that when pressed.  That was my whole point.  Without that, there would be no reason for your incessant posts right now.  He then would have had no reason to have disagreed with me that there were other factors.

• He clarified it, but it wasn't incorrect. Others added to what he said, but did so respectfully. You coming out and saying, I'm wrong and your are right isn't the best way to handle things.

I have nothing to add further....that's it. LOL

• He clarified a few posts ago.  You were commenting on the goings on from yesterday, where it was not at all clarified.  I'm not even sure why you bothered to put a dog in the fight.  

It is incorrect to say that calories are the only factor.  How else do you explain the extensive research on sleep having such a huge impact on weight loss?  That's one of 100's of examples.  

I have handled things by getting back to the original post and that's how you should have handled things.  

• Jessica - Mighty Max

You can agree all you like, but it's wrong to say calories in versus calories out is the only factor in weight gain / loss.  On this I am correct.  Again, never said calories weren't a factor.  In fact, the main one, but there are others.  

Jessica I just went back and read every one of our posts again and here is the confusion. When I am talking calories in vs out I was talking pure scale weight loss or unhealthy weight loss. Fat.muscle, organs, everything. If you through someone in jail, feed them 300 cal a day and keep cutting that back as their BMR lowers due to overall unhealthyness and starvation eventually they are either dead or looking like a concentration camp victim. Calories in vs calories out.. 

You are talking about healthy weight loss or more pointedly fat loss but keep referring to it as weight loss.  Referring to my original post, I never contested there is more to healthy weight loss than a pure in vs out formula.

n the terms of pure weight loss, calories in vs calories out does in fact work. The laws of thermogenics hold true in that regard. If you create a state of persistent caloric deficit you will lose weight. If you ate 1000 calories a day of only twinkies, you will lose weight provided you are burning more that 1000 kcals a day.

Now, we all know that would not be healthy weight loss, and you would be losing as much (or more) muscle as fat resulting in a "skinny fat" if continued long enough. You would be probably sick from the lack of vitamins and minerals our bodies need to function properly. You would be hungry and irritable all the time and weak, but you would lose scale weight. 

Calories in vs calories out does not nullify the principles that BFL are based on because BFL has never been about losing weight. It is about losing fat, building muscle,body recomposition and obtaining a fit and energetic body. To achieve those goals you have to look beyond simple thermogenics. You need a proper balance of macro Kcals, protein,carbs and dietary fat to nourish the body to meet those goals.

More so you refer to metabolism and other factors, all that in the pure mathematical formula would have to be monitored and caloric intake adjusted to continue to create a deficit to continue losing weight. If your BMR dropped by say 500 due to some factor, calories as well would have to be until you end up eating less and less on the way to literal starvation and death, but if you continues to cut the calories until zero as your caloric burn dropped along with it you would lose "weight" until dead. Mathematically it is a fact. Realistically or practically outside very extreme conditions it is not a likely scenario. Given the availability of food in our society not many could continue to restrict calories to that level and eventually would reach a tipping point where their calories would top the reduced burn and start regaining weight.

Anyways lets just drop it and have the thread progress along Brian's experiment with Paleo.

• And again, I said I still agreed with his original post.  He clarified it for others who don't fully understand the concept.  You can can tell people things all you want, because you feel like you have to, however, I don't have to agree with you.

I agreed with Bill.  I never called you out and said Bill was right, and you were wrong.  I just said I agree with Bill.  If you continued to be upset about this, be my guest. However, I'm going to exit and stand by what I said, whether you agree or not.  That's it...

• We were both talking pure scale weight, as has been clarified.  I'm not sure why you're saying I was saying something I clearly wasn't.  Even with pure scale weight, there are other factors to consider.  I will clarify again that I agree calories are the main factor in weight loss.  I'm not sure why it must be explained over and over.  I am not disagreeing and never have.  

• I don't care if you agree with me or not, Patriciaae99.  The fact is that there are other factors to consider, besides just in versus out calories, which we all agree is the main factor.  You actually did call me out.  I am not upset at all and am unsure why you are making accusations.  

• Good...