Beans and Rice

• I love Black Beans and Rice, and would love to make it at home! I'm thinking brown rice, cilantro, grilled corn and black beans, chopped yellow and red pepper, chopped onion, chili powder...sound good? Any suggestions? I'd love to hear what you think (if I'm missing something) or how you make it!!

Leggs

• Hi leggsmomof3,

I make beans almost everyday, I'm half Puerto Rican and it is a staple in our diet. We use sofrito in our beans, this is the base most Spanish beans are made with.  It is a mixture of cilantro, onions, garlic, culantro, peppers and achoite. For someone who has never made it, it would probably be best to buy some at your local supermarket.  Goya makes a decent one you can find in the frozen section.  They also make one in a jar but I would stay away from that one for beans. We then add Adobo & additional garlic powder depending on the taste.  Also, depending on the type of bean we also add anything from ham to calabaza (pumkin) but I usually don' t add anything to mine as I just like beans..  

As far as cooking black beans, you can buy a bag and pre soak them overnight.  Too much work for me, I rather buy a can and rinse the beans. Add a small amount of olive oil to the pan, then add the sofrito (1 tablespoon per 15 oz can), next the beans, then add a can of water followed by some adobo and garlic powder. After 10 minutes of boiling on medium high, remove half the beans and smash them or place them in a blender. This will thicken the sauce. Mix them back into the pot and lower the heat until your rice is done.  

We have the rest of our lives to perfect this....do your best and forget the rest!

• Patty,

Sounds fantastic!  Thanks for the through explanation.  :)

• I may be wrong but I believe you are supposed to count the beans as a carb, not a protein. So you may want to add some chicken in there.

• nevermind, looks like you are a pro at this :) I just saw someone else post that a big mistake they made was counting beans as a protein, so i thought I'd add that.

• Very true on the beans=carb.  That recipe sounds divine and I'm going to try it sans the rice.  I think I'll pour those beans right over my chicken.  Yummy for my tummy!!

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Sounds fantastic...Thanks!! I am thinking of preparing this as a side to chicken or fish...