Best kind of alcohol?

• So I know we're not supposed to drink except on our free day, and I know many of you think we shouldn't even drink on the free day, but when I do break down and have some alcohol on one of my free days, what do you all suggest?  My "go-to" drinks are either red wine, vodka/soda, or vodka with diet Sprite.  Is one better than the other or are they pretty much equal?

• If you have to drink, I'd go with red wine.  There are some health benefits of red wine in moderation and its fairly low carb and oh so good ;).  

Here's a blurb from the mayo clinic:

Red wine, in moderation, has long been thought of as heart healthy. The alcohol and certain substances in red wine called antioxidants may help prevent heart disease by increasing levels of "good" cholesterol and protecting against artery damage.

While the news about red wine might sound great if you enjoy a glass of red wine with your evening meal, doctors are wary of encouraging anyone to start drinking alcohol. That's because too much alcohol can have many harmful effects on your body.

Still, many doctors agree that something in red wine appears to help your heart. It's possible that antioxidants, such as flavonoids or a substance called resveratrol, have heart-healthy benefits.

• Thanks!  I've read that about red wine before, but I guess after doing WW for so long, I have been scared of it because of the high points.  I'm glad that it has health benefits because it's my favorite!  Although drinking an entire bottle in one night probably has the opposite health benefits!  :-P  Don't worry...I'm not an alcoholic...I just have friends who drink a lot and I give myself one night to catch up with them!

• I cut out all booze in my challenge. But I do enjoy to drink and will probably go out here and there now that I'm in the maintainence part for now before my next challenge. Use this www.sparkpeople.com/.../nutrition_articles.asp