Can I fulfill my carb needs w/ fruit and veggies instead of bread?

• a lean protein, serving of carbohydrates and vegetables for a meal is absolutely NOT too much food! at all.  vegetables and fruits are different in their make ups.  while trying to lose fat, you actually can eat "too much" fruit (fruit is all sugar and water, although it is healthy natural sugars!) but you can NEVER eat too many water based vegetables.  i don't care what anyone says.  if you want to eat your body weight in spinach or other greens, go for it.  vegetables are incredibly low calorie, filling and good for your health in every way, whereas some people who are more carbohydrate sensitive can still eat too much fruit and have it hinder their fat loss, this can never happen with vegetables.  that is why it is important to consider a fruit a serving of complex carbs while on this program.

i consider most veggies a freebie though.

• nebotti I agree with you on your whole statement with the exception of one caveat.  The squash family is a fairly high starch veggie family so unlimited of that could be an issue.   I adore spaghetti squash brushed with EVOO and sprinkled with italian seasoning and baked face down on a foil line baking sheet for about 50 minutes at 350 degrees.  This is one veggie that I am still mindful on quantity with.

Great advice!

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• yeah, that's why i said most veggies are fine but of course there are always those exceptions that are really starchy. i am mindful with squash as well but i do love them all roasted! ! i've actually been wanting to try spaghetti squash as a pasta replacement for a while now...with some lean ground turkey meatballs and tomatoes, mmm :) i'm going to write it down for next week! haha

• One of my favorites is spaghetti squash with pasta sauce.  It actually allows me to eat the same thing with my family.  I'm married to a junk food junkie so usually on pasta night I eat an omelet.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• wakamesalad - looking at my journal I kept during my first challenge, I ate fruit and veggies as my carb for many meals.  And my fruit intake was about twice the amount of my veggie intake (I mean overall, not at each meal).   I am a big fan of fruit.  And of course I balanced it out with the protein at every meal.

Since I have a meal or protein shake/smoothie every 2 1/2  hours I am never hungry, even when I choose fruit as my carb.

I thought I better add that I do eat starchy carbs too!  Just not as often as I do fruit and veggies!

Susan Berna

2010 Body-for-LIFE Grand Master Champion