Snack ideas other than shakes

• I agree, it's all in how you adapt the program. I eat a stick of low-fat string cheese once a day and occasionally (maybe once a week or every other week) put 2% cheddar on something like a breakfast burrito, and we're talking maybe 1/2 an ounce. But I personally consider low-fat cheese a protein; if I eat 1-2 ounces, I usually then have lots of chicken and veggies that day and avoid peanut butter and oils to keep my daily fat content low.

Oh and here is my protein berry muffin recipe:

Preheat oven to 400 F.

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup artificial sweetener

1 tsp baking powder

1 Tbsp honey or agave syrup (optional)

1 whole egg + 2 egg whites

2-3 scoops protein powder (my husband has a dairy allergy so I use hemp protein + fiber in mine)

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg or Allspice

3/4-1 cup liquid: Skim milk, soy milk, almond milk, hemp milk, or rice milk

Blend well, fold in small amount berries or other fruit (1/2 banana or a couple of sliced strawberries or maybe 1/4 apple) or a bit of sugar-free all natural applesauce

Bake for 15-18 minutes for medium muffins; 10-12 minutes for small muffins

For medium muffins, per muffin: 130 calories, 4g fat, 18g carbs, 5g fiber, 3g sugars, 10g protein

Yay!

• If you are going to do the string cheese then have 3 instead of 1 because 1 isn't nearly enough protein.

Did that recipe really have a 1/2 cup of artificial sweetener or was that a typo?  

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Even with 1 stick of cheese for one of my snacks I'm getting 120-150g of protein daily between shakes, meat, Greek yogurt and protein bars.

Yes, 1/2 cup of sweetener (the "regular" recipe calls for a full cup of sugar).

• The protein should be evenly divided between your 6 meals.  

I can't imagine that much sweetener.  I'm convinced that stuff is ultra sweet.  That might just be my palate.  Also, it produces in some an insulin response that's like with sugar.  

• Well personally I have never had a weight issue and I use to eat cheese. I only stopped eating cheese because I'm lactose intolerant. I did see Bill in person two months ago not at an event just casually in the store.

I personally don't think this program is good for athletes as it doesn't challenge enough of your flexibility and endurance.  I know many professional athletes from boxers, tennis players, track and field, football and soccer and they incorporate many things into making their bodies the machines that they are.  And I personally know many who eat cheese and eat pizza like there is no tomorrow. Now with that being said, I believe this program offers a great platform to get your best body but it is not the only way and there is really nothing new in the program with the exception of using the specified products that can easily be traded for another brand.

I know there is a difference with losing weight and fat and if it makes you feel better most people on this site are looking to lose fat not to become athletes. I'm personally am more interested in helping someone see a way of carrying on a healthy lifestyle that will continue beyond 12 weeks.

From my understanding only 5% of the people who sign up complete BFL, those are unfortunately low numbers.  I know you have completed your 12 weeks after many failed attempts, so I am saying this with all due respect.  If someone is asking what other options are available, give them some options. Your only comment was that cheese was not approved...only cottage cheese, to follow the book and that someone would need to add more protein if they are eating bread with almonds or peanut butter.  Still none of these comments are helpful options.  Obviously the book says to have a RTD protein shake or bar and some cottage cheese at night, gets boring really fast. Also, why didn't you say if you are having bread and butter add ____________ to increase the protein. That would have been more helpful.

The question was, Snack Ideas other than shakes. To which mwseahorse was kind enough to answer and it might not have been a perfect list but it was pretty good and gave Dianah75 some ideas and this just might keep her with BFL until the end.

We have the rest of our lives to perfect this....do your best and forget the rest!

• Thanks Jessica. That's a good thing to know on the protein; thanks for the heads up! I must have missed that when reading the book 42 times. ;)

1/2 cup of sweetener doesn't seem like too much when spaced out between 12-16 muffins and it's not like this recipe is set in stone; it's what works for me. Plus whole wheat flour is pretty bland, and the hemp protein powder I use is very earthy tasting, so 1/2 cup balances that out. People can add more or less, whatever they want. I use Apriva sweetener which is Kroger's version of Splenda and better for keeping blood glucose levels low. My husband is diabetic and he does fine with them, even when he eats 5 or 6 in one sitting (something he does too often).

• At the time this program was revolutionary.  You are discounting the high point and it's benefit.  Also, strength training is one of the best ways to increase flexibility.  

I've been on the site for over 5 years now and mostly know people wanting to be really fit, athletes.  Obviously others come and go, but I've found that those looking to just lose a few pounds quickly go because this is too intense for them.  

There's no reason this lifestyle can't go beyond 12 weeks so your point is unclear to me.  

I figured you know to have for protein to fill in the blank.  

Having carb and fat with no protein isn't BFL.  

• MWSEAHORSE - The reason why the BFL eating plan works so beautifully is because of the insulin control so having a lot of protein at one meal, but very little at another would defeat this purpose.  The balance of carb and protein together and space between meals is to control your insulin.

• Oh and Patty, had the program been easier, I wouldn't have gotten the results that I did and more importantly perhaps, I would have failed to finish the same number of challenges.  The program being strict and my failure to do it that many times was unrelated.  

• It IS hard to eat the same thing day in, day out. I bought the Champions book from a few years back and can't conceive of having chicken and broccoli every night, or cottage cheese with yogurt for every meal #2. The one thing Bill points out in his book is that the diet doesn't take too much away from people. I've always been a good but impulsive eater; some days I feel like this, some days I feel like that. I am not saying the rules of the Challenge shouldn't be followed but I think it's very counterproductive to not try and adapt and get creative. I use some recipes on the site, some I make myself. Some days I get in more protein than others. It happens. Some of us can't obsess and follow the program absolutely 100% all the time; I'd say I'm a solid 95% and that is good enough for me.

I concede that my options were not the best but they work for me and have kept me in the program (I have 2 1/2 weeks to go). But I didn't see anyone else giving a list of suggestions, and I think it's counterproductive to talk about what is/isn't B4L unless you have some input on the original question.

• Why can't you get creative with the many allowed options?  Mike used to field this question a lot.  It made no sense to him.  People tend to eat the same things all the time, be them healthy or unhealthy, so variety isn't really the issue.  

If you want help finding good choices then give things you like and help someone help you.  You're not helpless here.  

• I agree, no one here is helpless. That's part of why this discussion was started: Someone wanted help with ideas. It's a pretty awesome thing that there are so many great people on here. I'm always looking for more ideas; and just having a grocery list on the site and the recipes to browse shouldn't be the only resource. I have ZERO friends in my life who are interested in the Challenge; they all just ask when I'm going to be done with it. So I come on the forums for that support, but getting into a two-page discussion about cheese and the book vs the website and what Bill looks like now vs what he looked like then isn't really what I would call "help."

• I'm not discounting anything. I'm also not new to fitness or weight training.  Most of the stuff Bill mentioned in BFL was very well known in the gyms, he just put it out there for the masses. He also did a wonderful job of marketing his products.  I also don't think this program is intense.  That is probably the reason I love it. I have done P90x and Insanity and those are intense but I personally didn't like the way I was looking.  I dropped too much weight to fast, where as with BFL weight is not coming off and that is just fine with me.  If you want to test your flexibility try Ashtanga.  

I'm just making an observation.  Instead of being helpful you come across as being authoritative. I clicked on this link by accident but happened to see your comment and you basically took my reply that low fat cheese was listed on the website and you barked at me all the way but yet you still haven't offered Dianah75 some suggestions.... just saying.

Any way, I'm done reply to this post. Thanks mwseahorse for helping Dianah75 out!

We have the rest of our lives to perfect this....do your best and forget the rest!

• mwseahorse - If you want cheese, despite it not being a good option, then have it.  You are snippy with me over nothing and that has everything to do with you.  Plenty of people find it helpful to know how to improve their BFL Contest.  If you want to know something specific then ask, but don't be annoyed it's not the answer you want.  The real problem is that the people in your life aren't supporting your journey so you were looking for ways to make it more "normal" for you so you could find the balance between both.  I have an appreciation for that and could help, but you aren't interested.

• I didn't bark, I responded to incorrect information and then stuck up for myself when you wrongly accused me of not siting properly.  I'm sorry you were offended I replied to you, but the reality is that you read my information wrong. 

I don't feel the need to sugar coat.  It helps no one.

Suggestions were made.  I'm sorry you don't feel they are what you would like.  I'm still waiting for you to make suggestions that are authorized by BFL.