Eating too much fat?

• Hey!  I am in week 3 of my first challenge and loving it!  I feel like I've been very faithful and trying hard.  I get excited when I occasionally suspect a slight change in my physique.  However, I'm wondering if I'm eating too much healthy fat.  A typical daily menu would go something like this:

2 egg whites and 1 slice whole wheat bread

grapes and 1 light string cheese (not low fat just light which has 5 g fat)

turkey wrap on ww tortilla and salad

1 cup pineapple and 3 tbs soy nuts

fish, small baked potato and asparagus

protein shake (with half protein powder and 1-2 tbs soy nuts)

I am 5'3" and 145 lbs (not for long though, I hope :D)

Guidance would be appreciated!

• I would plug in what you eat to one of those calorie sites such as Livestrong My Plate, Myfitnesspal.com, or Calorie King and use the information to determine if you are taking in too much fat.  

We have the rest of our lives to perfect this....do your best and forget the rest!

• I found when I cut out fat my weight loss slowed down... also I had not going to the bathroom issues...For healthy fats I included olive oil drizzled on my food(just a tsp) or a tbsp of avocado added  to a meal...flax oil in a smoothie..I didn't cook with fats just added them to a meal... I also made sure I was eating fatty fish at least twice a week. Good Luck Funmanswife, I hope this helps!

• Just my .02.  This is about the balance of macronutrients.  You want pretty close to equal carbs/protein.

2 egg whites and 1 slice whole wheat bread

**You need to get this protein up closer to 20 grams at least, two egg whites is closer to just 6 grams. Ditch the WW bread and have an apple or some blueberries instead.

grapes and 1 light string cheese (not low fat just light which has 5 g fat)

**1 string cheese only has about 7 grams protein again, not even close to 20 grams.  Add at least 3 hard boiled egg whites with the cheese and the grapes.

turkey wrap on ww tortilla and salad

**Ditch the WW tortilla, cut up the turkey and put it on your salad, make sure there is at least 3 oz of turkey, add a small container of mandarin oranges packed in water to the salad as well.

1 cup pineapple and 3 tbs soy nuts

** pineapple is a bit high in natural sugars, you'd be better off with an apple, but that's really splitting hairs and unneccesary.  Just make sure that you are aware that the soy nuts contain carbs as well. 

fish, small baked potato and asparagus

**If your fish is 3-4 oz, this is a fine meal.

protein shake (with half protein powder and 1-2 tbs soy nuts)

** perfect before bed.

****Edited to add...soy nuts have 11.1 grams/9 grams carbs per ounce along with 6.1 grams healthy fat.  So in reality if you are eating 2 oz of the nuts you are getting your carbs even before adding the pineapple.   Personally I would remove the WW products and switch them over to a fruit.  Increase the protein as mentioned and monitor things for two weeks.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Good morning all. Champstar09, this question is for you. I myself have been using Multigrain, non enriched tortilla's as a source of carbs. I am in week 4 and I lost around 10-12 lbs. I did BFL back in 2005 and I used whole wheat bread then, not really paying attention if it was flour enriched. So my question is to you, should I cut it out altogether? Now keep in mind, my weight training is exactly the way it is supposed to done, except for my abdominal workout which I actually add 2 extra whole sets in (i,e. 12-10-8-6-12 crunches, 12-10-8-6-12 knee raises, 12-10-8-6-12 obliques) and my cardio is longer than the 20 minute recommendation due to I ride my mountian bike for cardio due to a lumber spine injury I suffered in the military and my right knee aches to no end after trying to run or even brisk walking. I will be incorporating swimming on week 5 for cardio (I can do it indoor at the gym I work out at and also outdoors since now it has been consistantly warm here in Houston). Due to my bike rides are usually around 15-20 miles at this point (i.e. yesterday 19.5 miles total), I feel I need to incorporate more carbs to keep my energy level up. Good carbs of course. Thanks for any advice you have as well as others who may want to chime in.

Mike

The only limitations that you have , are those that you set upon yourself

• @ Bizzey  As long as you are seeing progress, I see no reason to make the change.  Bread/tortilla's etc should be limited if possible especially if you begin to stall and are not seeing results.  Simply put there are better forms of carbs out there.  Week 4 10-12# is great and I wouldn't change anything as long as you are seeing progress.  I would suggest however that you consume the bread carbs directly after finishing your workouts, both of them.  Your body will burn through the carbs pretty quickly.  

If you start to see your progress stalling then switch the bread stuffs over to fruits and or beans.

Remember, this is about learning to manage food for life, not just for challenges and free days.  I'm 3 years in to steady, solid good food management.  Very few hiccups anymore.

• Thank you very much Michelle for the advice. Of course, you being a BFL Champion, I will hang on to your every word. I am trying to achieve what you have already achieved! (Smile). Sorry to keep asking questions but you brought up something that my wife and I have debated in the past. Fruits and Beans. I pretty much love all fruits, I eat a grapefruit daily, except when we run out which may be a day or two, I occasionally will eat apples. I like banana's, even though they are not on the list. Our debate about fruits is, do fruits actually constitute a good source of carbs? In particular replacing fruit for potato's brown rice etc. As for our debate regarding beans, I love them, all beans! But, we debate about what beans are the best source of protien and carbs. One good thing is, outside of canned tuna, we try not eat canned foods, so we do not have to worry about all the crap they use to preserve canned beans. We do have a crock pot, so I love add some veggies, low sodium stock and beans (aww my mouth is watering). So what's your take? By the way I am seeing major progress and I will take your advice if I start to plateau. I started at 182 lbs, weighed in yesterday at 171 (with shoe and clothes), so I am pretty happy. I can now tuck my shirt in with out having to suck my stomach in (I use to try to hide the front porch-that's what I use to call my stomach lol). I cannot wait until I post my before and after pics. Again thank you for the advice.

The only limitations that you have , are those that you set upon yourself

• Thanks so much for everyone's advice.  I truly appreciate it!  I'm not trying to sound obstinate, but I follow things better when I truly understand.  With that said, could I eat 1/4 cup soy nuts, a string cheese and 1/2 serving of fruit for a meal?  That would give me 17-18 g protein and 16-17 g carbs.  Right?  Also, I'm not getting what's so bad about the WW stuff.  Insight would be appreciated.  Also, I'm still not understanding the purpose behind getting equal, big doses of carb/protein.  I've read the book, but I'm still not getting it, other than the protein helps protect your muscles?  If I'm full why do I still need to eat the full 20 g of each?

Again, I'm not trying to be stubborn, I just don't understand.

Thanks again!

• No problem funmanswife

Soy nuts would really be classified more as a "healthy fat" than a protein.  You will have to tell me what your specific package of soy nuts list as the protein/fat/carbs.  The data I provided was by ounce, you are measuring in 1/4 cup so there is probably at least 2 ounces in your serving size.

WW stuff isn't "bad" persay, there are just better choices out there that haven't been processed.  As long as you are making progress that is fine, but if your progress starts to stall you can well bet it's the bread carbs causing it.  

I'm no expert, I am just speaking from experience.  Everyone has a different body, yours may be perfectly fine consuming whole wheat products.

As to your last statement of if I'm full why do I still need to eat the full 20 grams of each....  to promote muscle growth.  If you are following the weight training portion and really pushing to lift heavy, your body with need the extra protein. 

www.hussmanfitness.org has PLENTY of supportive data on why this program works.

• @ Bizzey

Don't put me too high up there buddy, I tend to rock a tilted halo most of the time.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR AND DO NOT PLAY ONE ON THESE FORUMS.

Just my opinion based on my research and results.

1st choice  Beans = carb, also contains protein, but shouldn't be counted as a protein or even part of your protein at a given meal.  Nice slow digesting fiber filled carb that has little impact on insulin levels.

2nd choice Fruit = Natures own perfectly portioned carb, unless of course yours are tropical as in bananas and pineapple which have more sugar and smaller portions.  They come in second for me because sugar is sugar is sugar and fruit is sweet.  The body consumes fruit really fast and this alone can cause a spike in insulin.  (check out this for more better information

Hyperinsulinemia)

3rd choice WW breads, grains.  These are man-made and processed, loaded with preservatives that allow them to retain freshness.  Also contribute to hyperinsulinemia.

I prefer sweet potatoes if I absolutely must have a good old dose of carbs.

But again people, I'm several YEARS into this, not in my first or second challenge.

• One other thing...EAT YOUR VEGGIES!!

• Champster09 I'm wondering if you ever allow people to email you personally to look over their eating plan? Or even if you wouldn't mind if i post it on this thread? I don't want to take the spotlight away from @funmanswife's questions etc. on this thread. Would you mind?

• Don't mind at all BHPink.  I'm on FB Michelle Mobley Simpson if that makes it easier for you.

• I will say one last thing.  Don't lose sight of the fact that this whole process is hard and it will always be hard, you just learn to adapt and you learn to manage your food instead of letting your food manage you.

• May I add something that you told me Champster?

You told me once to always stay uncomfortable. That is how to get results. You also said that if I wasnt losing on the scale or inches, or gaining mass or strength I needed to change things up.

You said alot to me ... but those two things really stuck.

Love ya lady!