More protein ideas?!

• So I have one HUGE barrier I've run into with the B4L program: I HATE cottage cheese. With a passion. I've tried small curds, large curds, lowfat, nonfat, with fruit, with pepper, with yogurt, etc etc etc. I just can't stand it. Thus far I've been doing okay with protein portioning but want to get away from so much nut butter and low-fat cheese (I eat 1-2 sticks of string cheese per day). To help compensate I'm eating a lot of egg whites, meats, protein bars/shakes, greek yogurt (but still treating that as a carb), and high protein soy products like tempeh and seitan. My goal is to get in at least 12-20g of protein with each meal. But I'm still just barely above 100g of protein each day and at my weight of 155 lbs I feel like I need more.

Does anyone else have any ideas for quick, portable high-protein meals? I work a lot and go to school full time so I'm often eating on the run but still manage to maintain the program. I've looked at the recipes on the site but still struggle and feel like there are obvious things I am forgetting. I've also made my own protein bars at home and they go OK but I like variety in my diet and want to keep expanding.

Any input would be appreciated!

• Why do you treat the greek yougurt as a carb?

Live life with passion!

• Because in the BFL it's treated as one.  

edit:  I guess I should say they have 'fat free' listed as a carb.. so I dont know if that means that yogurt automatically is a carb on the BFL or not or if it depends.. 

• Give or take 80% of Yogurts contents is consider carb.

• Protein and vegetable protein sources from the libary tab:

• Chicken breast
      Turkey breast
      Lean ground turkey
      Swordfish
      Orange roughy
      Haddock
      Salmon
      Tuna
      Crab
      Lobster
      Shrimp
      Top round steak
      Top sirloin steak
      Lean ground beef
      Buffalo
      Lean ham
      Egg whites or substitutes
      Trout
      Low-fat cottage cheese
      Wild-game meat
      Turkey Bacon
    • Tempeh
      Seitan
      Tofu
      Texturized vegetable protein
      Soy foods
      Veggie burgers

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• I think the BFL team just recently posted Greek Yogurt as a great protein source. I will look for it and link it...

here it is...http://bodyforlife.com/community/boards/bfl/b/insider-blog/archive/2011/02/25/greek-yogurt-protein.aspx

• I am a 156lb. woman in the 3rd week of my first challenge.  I treat my greek yogurt as a complete meal.  I use the Chobani brand.  The pineapple flavor has 21 grams carbs and 13 grams protein.  I just add a tablespoon of vanilla protein powder to it each time to create a more balanced meal.  The protein powder mixes in very well and add a bit of sweetness.

• I would recommend getting the PLAIN NON FAT kind. The flavoured ones have loads of sugars (not the kind primarily from the dairy ...) and that's not ideal.

Best idea is to get plain Non Fat Greek Yogurt (love the Chobani brand too) and add a touch of sweetener and some fruit (to round out the carbs)

If you have 1 cup (227g) that is 23 g protein and 9g carbs...add some berries or other fruit and that will bring up the "good" carb number and THEN that is a great BFL balanced meal.

• Have you tried making the protein pancakes. Yes, they have cottage cheese in them but you would never know. I eat them every day and feel like it is a cheat meal they are so good.

• Thanks for the help all! I will definitely try the protein pancakes marathonmama. If the other ingredients mask the taste of the cottage cheese I'm willing to give it a go.

On Greek yogurt: I love Chobani too (especially the vanilla flavored one) and do like plain nonfat with fruit or all-fruit preserves added (ever had St Dalfours? Sooooo tasty). Just trying to keep things interesting. :) I've found Fage 2% plain to be my favorite for a lot of reasons, it's very creamy and packs 20g of protein per 6 oz container which is the most I've ever seen.

Keep the suggestions coming, it's interesting to see how other people are doing this. :)

• @marathon  -  I just purchased everything I need to make the protein pancakes and the protein pudding.  Can't wait to try them.

@aym -  THANK YOU!!!  I just looked at the sugar content in the pineapple flavor and YIKES!  I will certainly be switching.  Thanks so much!

• Hi nwseahorse,

I am sure many will frown on this one but I discovered some time ago that mixing tuna and avocado is absolutely delicious and both ingredients are known for their protein. It is quick and easy: 1 can tuna + one ripe avo mixed into a mess and eaten with a fork.

“When we lose sight of the vision we become enslaved by the sight of the problem.”

• This is a complete meal I do using Greek yogurt.

1/3 cup Old Fashioned Oats mixed with 2/3 cup water and microwaved for 2.5 minutes at 80% power, uncovered in tall bowl.

Add 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt

Add a dash of vanilla extract

Add 2 packets of Splenda

Add 1/2 cup blueberries

Add 2 TBS chopped raw walnuts

It's wonderful.