Soybeans-Help

• I'm not a vegetarian, but I've been eating soybeans (edamame) in single serving bags as one of my servings of protein during the day. I like the idea of having one source of non-animal protein and in the list on this site "soy products" is include as an acceptable item. What do y'all think? I usually eat it with an apple as my carb.

The nutrition for one bag is as follows:

Calories: 150

Fat: 1.5

Sodium: 45 mg

Carbs: 13.5g

Fiber: 6

Protein: 12g

• 12 grams of protein is very low for a meal. Protein grams and carb grams should be approximately equal - I usually strive for 20-25 of each.

An apple has about 17 grams of carbs, so your meal has 12 grams of protein and 30 grams of carbs.

I don't know how you feel about natural peanut butter (there is some debate on it among forum participants) but you might try a package of edamame, half an apple and 2T of natural peanut butter. That would make a meal with about 20 grams of protein and 28 grams of carbs. Not ideal but much better.

You can lower the fat from the peanut butter by reconstituting PB2 or another brand of dehydrated peanut butter.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.