*** feeding mom

• I am specifically looking for supplements that DO NOT contain aspertame or sucralose. I am *** feeding and I do not want to risk these getting into my milk supply. I know there is no research to prove it, but I am not going to wait for science to tell my years later that it does affect the infant. I'd rather play on the side of caution, but I still need to loose weight. Does anyone have any suggestions for meal replacements that do not have chemically altered sugar substitutes?

• Hello,

It is best to call EAS directly and they can assist you with your nutritional needs while *** feeding.1-800-297-9776, 8:30am-5:00pm Monday through Friday

• As Lori suggested I would call EAS directly, but in my experience there are not many supps out their that don't contain some chemical or another.

Whole foods are best. I am a mom of 4 kids and at the time I "got serious" (I have worked out for 20 years but the heavy lifting and eating clean came after my 3rd), I only ate real food. No supplements at all. And when my third was born...my oldest was not even 4 yrs old and I did not have a live in nanny at the time. So it can be done! Just pre-planning and loads of organization...

Here are some suggested meals that are both real food, and VERY portable (trust me ;) )

-Oats or cream of wheat and egg whites

-fat free cottage cheese and a fruit

-fat free greek yogurt and some berries

-fat free plain yogurt mixed with cottage cheese and some berries with a touch of vanilla mixed in

-chicken/turkey *** or fish, veggies and brown rice or quinoa or sweet potato

-1 can tuna on EZ bread with veggies

-scrambled egg whites and a whole egg with veggies and seasoning in a whole wheat (Ezekiel) wrap

-chicken chili with kidney beans, canned diced tomatoes, zucchini, onions, peppers, mushrooms

-tuna/oat/egg patties

-yam cakes (sweet potato and egg whites with some cinnamon and fry it up)

-oat/egg pancake

I prepare a bunch of chicken b r e a s t s, or turkey, sweet potatoes, quinoa, salmon, tilapia etc and cook and portion out and freeze. Then in the am of that day I will take out all the pre-portioned containers/baggies/foil wrapped items I need for that day and put in fridge to defrost.

The chili is easy, saute the ground chicken and onions in bottom of pot, drain diced tomatoes and kidney beans, cut up the other veggies, throw them in the pot, cover and simmer...when done can portion out and freeze as well. The chili is a perfect protein (gr. chicken), carb (kidney beans), and veggie(all the veggies mentioned) meal!  

This can totally be done sans supplements. They are good for convenience purposes yet if you feel strongly about the artificial stuff in them I suggest you go whole foods with diligent pre-planning. Write it down. Then make it happen. I know you can do this!

Good luck!

• I'm sure EAS will be helpful, but this is a question best addressed to your doctor or your baby's pediatrician.

If it were me (and it was, three times) I would forgo the supplements and focus on lean protein, whole grains and lots of fresh veggies. Remember the extra calcium you need too. And don't cut back on calories too much -- between the demands of BFL and a nursing infant, you will be burning through them. Make each calorie count for both you and the baby.

Best wishes,

Sara

Want it. Plan it. Do it.