Whey protein

• I'm 5' 5", 140 lbs., 13% bodyfat and getting over 160 grams of protein a day and consuming approximately 1,800 calories.  Would there be any benefit to consuming whey protein?  I believe I read somewhere that BFL'ers still take it. 

Thanks,

Andre 

• Hi Andre:

Liquid protein after a workout is best; it gets to the muscles quicker and doesn't have to be digested.  Whey has also been praised for helping in muscle recovery and gains.  You don't have to add it, but it may be beneficial.   Since you are already consuming 160 grams per day, you may want to trade the whey for one of your other proteins.  You can also call EAS; they are very knowledgeable in this area.

Good luck.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Andre,

In my opinion you are getting plenty of protein in your diet as is. I would keep some on hand for the times when you can't get that meal or need something quick and nutritious on the go. I have just finished my 12 weeks and relied on protein shakes to supplement my diet because I need over 200g a day and could not get enough "clean" protein in meals alone. Just be sure all of your meals are balanced and good sources and I think you will be fine. I will start another challenge on 11/22 and want to get 1.5 g per lb of bodyweight, so 300g will be hard to get without having a couple of shakes during the day. Heck, for me a chocolate shake is nice. I can't eat chicken for 6 meals a day.

Good luck.

• One thing I would like to add . . . Whey protein is an excellent source of BCAA's. I would supplement with some BCAA'S if you are not getting them in the protein shakes. It will help with recovery and muscle mass. Just my opinion. I am sure others will chime in with suggestions too.

Once again, good luck with your journey.