Breakfast Bagels...too good to be true?

• While grocery shopping I found these Jimmy Dean D-Lights Turkey Sausage, Whole Grain Bagel, cheese and egg whites sandwiches.  They are frozen and you just pop them in the microwave for a couple seconds, so easy!  I bought them because I was so excited, but now I'm wondering if they are actually not good for me.  I had one sandwich for meal 1 this morning.  Any input?  Is there too much sugar and sodium?  If they are ok to eat for a meal then I am the happiest girl on earth, because they are good!

Serving Size: 1 Sandwich (136g)
    Servings Per Container: 4

Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 260, Calories From Fat: 70

% Daily Value*
    Total Fat 8g 12%
    Saturated Fat 3.5g 18%
    Trans Fat 0g  
    Polyunsaturated  Fat 2g  
    Monounsaturated Fat 2g  
    Cholesterol 40mg 13%
    Sodium 860mg 36%
    Total Carbohydrate 31g 10%
    Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
    Sugars 5g  
    Protein 18g  35%

Vitamin A 4%. Vitamin C 2%. Calcium 20%. Iron 10%. INGREDIENTS: WHOLE WHEAT BAGEL: WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, WATER, WHEAT GLUTEN, SUGAR, BROWN SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: HONEY, YEAST, SALT, DOUGH CONDITIONERS (MAY CONTAIN ONE OR MORE OF: MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, CALCIUM IODATE, ASCORBIC ACID, POTASSIUM IODATE, ENZYMES, AZODICARBONAMIDE), CALCIUM PROPIONATE AND SODIUM METABISULFITE (PRESERVATIVES), DISTILLED VINEGAR, WHEAT FLOUR, GUAR GUM, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CORN STARCH, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, CELLULOSE GUM, RICE FLOUR, YELLOW CORN MEAL, SOY LECITHIN, SOY FLOUR. FRIED EGG WHITE PATTY: EGG WHITES, MODIFIED TAPIOCA STARCH, CARRAGEENAN GUM, SALT, NATURAL FLAVORS. COOKED TURKEY SAUSAGE PATTY: TURKEY, WATER, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SODIUM LACTATE, SALT, DEXTROSE, SUGAR, SPICES SODIUM PHOSPHATES, SODIUM DIACETATE, BHT, CITRIC ACID, CARAMEL COLOR. PASTEURIZED PROCESS AMERICAN CHEESE: AMERICAN CHEESE (CULTURED MILK, SALT, ENZYMES, ARTIFICIAL COLOR), WATER, CREAM, SODIUM CITRATE, SALT, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVE), LACTIC ACID, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, ENZYMES, SOY LECITHIN.

• Well my only problem with it is that it's almost 2 carbs to 1 protein.  33 to 18.  You should be closer to equal parts.  

If it's post workout, it's an ok choice in my humble opinion.   And when I say "ok" I mean it's just an Ok choice and you can do better.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• I agree with Michelle on the carbs to protein ratio...also the fat content for one sandwich, I wouldn't have the cheese on it.

I know it is convenient, but a lot of the "convenient" foods are not all that great for you. If you plan accordingly, there are whole wheat bagels/eng muffins to where you could make your own sandwich with eggs/turkey bacon.  It does take extra work, but that extra work can make all the difference in your transformation!

Hope this helps!

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...