Can someone review my meals? Balanced?

• I am on Day 2 and I am wondering if my meals are ok.  Can someone give me some feedback?  Do I need to be eating bigger snacks?  Smaller lunch?  Adding something to my diet?  For what it's worth, I also take Fish Oil, Vitamin C and E, and Selenium everyday.   I appreciate your help!

Day 1

Breakfast: 2 whole wheat/low fat waffles (no toppings)

Snack: Bag of strawberries

Lunch: Low fat ham sandwich on two peices of whole wheat bread with low fat cheese. Two sticks of celery with natual peanut butter

Snack: Low fat yogurt

Dinner: chicken burrito on whole wheat tortilla, pinto beans (just learned I can only have black), lettuce, fresh jalapeno, cilantro, onion

Snack: Myloplex Lite bar

Day 2 (so far)

Breakfast: One whole wheat/low fat waffle with 2 turkey sauage patties

Snack: Low fat strawberry yogurt

Lunch: Low fat ham sandwich on two pieces of whole wheat bread with low fat cheese.  Two sticks of celerywith natural peanut butter

• Okay, I'm a pirate not an expert but here's what I see (pardon the all caps I'm not yelling just trying to differntiate my feedback  from your original post)

Day 1

Breakfast: 2 whole wheat/low fat waffles (no toppings) - THIS IS ALL CARBS THERE SHOULD BE A PORTION OF PROTEIN WITH THIS (NEXT TIME TRY ADDING COTTAGE CHEESE AS TOPPING 20G OF PROTEIN WROTH OF COTTAGE CHEESE MAYBE.

Snack: Bag of strawberries - THIS IS ALSO ALL CARBS AND AGAIN SHOULD BE 20G OF CARBS PLUS 20G OF PROTEIN

Lunch: Low fat ham sandwich on two peices of whole wheat bread with low fat cheese. Two sticks of celery with natual peanut butter - MAKE SURE YOU ARE ONLY HAVING 1TBS OF NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER. MAKE SURE YOUR MEAT PORTION EQUALS 20G OF PROTEIN

Snack: Low fat yogurt - AGAIN THIS IS ALL CARBS.  WHERE IS YOUR PROTEIN?

Dinner: chicken burrito on whole wheat tortilla, pinto beans (just learned I can only have black), lettuce, fresh jalapeno, cilantro, onion

Snack: Myloplex Lite bar

Day 2 (so far)

Breakfast: One whole wheat/low fat waffle with 2 turkey sauage patties - O GOOD BETTER! HERE YOU HAVE CARB PLUS PROTEIN :)

Snack: Low fat strawberry yogurt - WHERE'S YOUR PROTEIN HOW ABOUT COTTAGE CHEESE WITH YOUR BERRIES?

Lunch: Low fat ham sandwich on two pieces of whole wheat bread with low fat cheese.  Two sticks of celerywith natural peanut butter - AGAIN CHECK THE PROTEIN G COUNT ON YOUR HAM AND THE SERVING SIZE ON YOUR PEANUT BUTTER

FEEDBACK:  Please make sure that each meal contains one serving of protein and one serving of carb. In general this should be 20g of each per meal.

Natural fats per the BFL book should only be added 3x a week so you should not eat the peanut butter every day

Thats all I've got so far hopefully someone else chimes in.

Oh yeah, and you're doing really well so far it tends to take a few days or weeks to get the eating just right so keep working at it you'll get there :)

• Ilpirata,

Thanks a lot.  I appreciate your help!  I am a rookie and haven't bought the book yet.  I am going by the website and forums only which make it a bit harder.  I would love to read the book, but I am studying for my financial licenses exams, so if I am reading anything, it's my finance books!  

I didn't realize I need a protein AND a carb every meal.  I am going to the grocery tonight and will start cooking meals the night before.  That should help a lot.  

Thanks again,

Becca

• Congrats on deciding to change and move towards a better you. Ilpirata is right, it takes time to figure this out, but there are many great people on this forum and tons of help so stay in touch and ask away.

One important thing that has helped me is not to think of eating as breakfast or dinner or snack. BFL is 6 MEALS a day. Each meal should be balanced, as Ilpirata explained, (a portion of carbs, a portion of protien, and two meals with veggies), near the same size as possible and eaten every 2.5 to 3 hours. Plus don't forget the water. At lest two glasses with each meal.

Do you have the BFL book? I highly reccommend it. It clearly explains the BFL eating and exercise plan and is an invaluable tool and guide through the 12 week challenge.

No matter what stick with it.  Focus on progress not perfection. You can do it!!

Orrin

• Hey Becca and welcome!

Firstly good on you for starting this at the same time as your exams, that takes some courage and shows your will and determination.  The book really did help me the most, it's so easy to get through, I think it took me about 2hrs to read from cover to cover.

Hang on in there, it will take a little while to get into the swing of things so don't fret too much.

Ffi

• bwhite it's great that you are starting this however you are truly setting yourself up for a bit of frustration by not reading the book.  It doesn't take long to read and understand why all three parts are neccesary for success.  Nutrition, Workouts and Mindset.  Understanding how they all join together will make this process so much easier for you.  

In the meantime, you can go to the library tab above and download the PDF file that gives you all of the workout sheets, nutrition pages and goal setting pages and put them in a 3 ring binder so you can chart your progress.  Have you taken pictures, measurements and weight?  All of these will help you get things started on the right foot.

http://bodyforlife.com/library/tools  and then select progress reports.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• I strongly agree with the others. You need to read the book!!

Otherwise it is like trying to find DebMO in Jefferson City from my house without a map of Canada OR the States.

It is an easy read and so helpful. I am rereading my book for the 3rd time, still picking up tips and inspiration!

• I think it would be difficult to perform this program without reading the book cover to cover.  I take mine into the sauna when I go to the gym and enjoy reading it there...also before bed.  It is such an easy read and invaluable information.  There are a few exercises Bill asks you to do to prepare yourself mentally for the challenge.  I think those are just as important as the food and the exercises.  I am sure you can find it at a good price at half.com.  It might be a refreshing break from your financial exams.  Best of luck to you moving forward.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Thanks everyone!  I will have to check stores online and get that book.  Since I am new to this and have not read the book, can someone tell me what CWD means?  I am assuming Challenge, Week, Day?  If so, do the days start over each week for a maximum of 7 or is it continuous?

Thanks again.

Becca

• Becca,

It's easy to get carbs in for every meal. What I found a bit challenging was remembering to get protein in as well....so a healthy snack prior to BFL program would have been a fruit for example (just carbs). But on BFL just remember EVERY meal even snack has to have small portion of protein too.  So that serving of fruit should be accompanied by a protein source such as lowfat cottage cheese.

I don't always want to have cottage cheese as my snack so I started making home made beef jerky (no  sugar and less sodium than store bought). I have a couple of pieces of jerky with a piece of fruit...... that's a better BFL snack than just fruit. I'm sure we'll all get more creative as we progress along.

Hope this helps.

Tiasmiles

• Tia,

Thank you!  I'll have to figure out how to make home made beef jerky!

Becca

• There are no "SNACKS" in Body for Life. Only meals from the authorized food list from the original book. That is, if you desire BFL results. The book explains this.

Im just sayin.