free food temptation

• there is something about free food that makes me want it no matter what it is!

that being said, my work constantly has leftover food from meetings. these are usually sandwiches and i almost always used to eat one, even if i had already eaten lunch or something.

it is a challenge for me (having just eaten lunch or meal 3) to not take a sandwich - just because it is free. is that weird?

there is probably some authorized protein, but there is always mayo and the bread is usually like nice crusty french roll bread, so that would be a no go.

it doesn't help that my cube is right next to the kitchen.

the bright side is that everyone else at work is crazy for free food so it should be gone soon :) i hope.i just thought everyone should now that i am suffering. lol.

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can.

• Therese- Anne-

Free food used to be a BIG temptation for me too. We have pot lucks almost every week at my work and it is very difficult for me to look past all of the goodies and ignore it.  Now I note the days we will have pot lucks and make sure to eat an extra big salad that day with my favorite BFL meal. I usually feel so full afterwards and proud of myself that I don't really want to eat any of the left over foods.

Great job staying away from it so far!!!

Stacy Lynn

• hey Stacy

pot lucks would be tough for me!! i actually considered getting a sandwich until they were all gone. but they are finally all gone.

thanks

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can.

• I would remind you that the food really isn't free.  There is a cost.  The price is extra calories for your body, perhaps a bit of self-loating after eating the "free" food. It might even derail you for the rest of the week because you think "What the heck - I've already blown it". Or maybe no fat loss for the week even though you followed the rest of the plan accordingly.  Start telling yourself that what you want in the moment is not nearly as important as the goals you've set for yourself.  You can be successful at this if you remember that.  

How am I going to live today in order to create the tomorrow I'm committed to?  Anthony Robbins

• I'm the same, the free sample ladies in supermarkets used to get me everytime, most of the time i dont even like what they gave me lol. Just started in a new job in a construction office and boys do these guys snack (yet annoyingly there all perfectly healthy weights). I thought it would be difficult to avoid the biscuits, crackers and peanuts that are constantly around but it actually isnt.

In fact is actuall grosses me out watching them out all that rubbish in their bodys, I imagine what their arteries look like and then what I'm going to look like and boy does that take away any temptation.

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh

• Also instead of looking at it as "Oh man, I can't have that..."  Look at it like this "I brought my own really good stuff and I'm glad I don't have to eat that stuff".

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• therese_anne, I think I totally get you on this one.  There were times when I was growing up that we didn't have alot of food in the house, when I lived with my Mom, we were on welfare, food stamps etc.  There just never seemed to be enough.  When I grew older and moved in with my alcoholic gambling addicted father, there just wasn't food in the house at all.  Every day was an exercise in scrounging or going to friends' houses for meal time.

As an adult, I find it very difficult to pass up on free food.  Something in my brain just goes on high alert to take it.  I really have to engage my rational self and tell me "JamesK, you have good food at home waiting for you, it is there trust me."  BFL has made me think alot about the meaning of food.

• I absolutely hear you. We have a "naughty drawer" at work that is usually filled with some sort of candy or goodies. I am not a big chocolate person normally but I am always tempted by whatever is in that drawer. And there is always food of some sort just sitting in our break room. When I started BFL, I actually cleaned out my pantry and took a whole bunch of unauthorized snacks to work and just set them out in our break room. They lasted all of about 2 hours!! And if you are busy at all at work like I generally am, you are sunk if you haven't brought good food to eat. Those "freebies" have a whole lot more power when you aren't prepared!                    

The only thing that can stop me. . . . . . . . . . is ME!!!!         JEN

• ermomof2, ha!  I just envisioned a tank of piranhas circling the break room for goodies from your pantry.