wine and salami

• last night, after my very awesome cardio workout after work, i decided i wanted some wine.

so i ventured out and got some wine. and drank the whole bottle instead of moderating it, and then i binged on salami.

i was really upset, but i am trying not to dwell on it.  this is a confession. i think i am more upset that i wasted my free day on some lame salami and wine.

i just havent seen the physical changes i thought i might see at 5 weeks and i feel like this is going to set me back even further.

it didn't help that while i was drunk sitting there stuffing my face with salami saying how guilty i felt, my mom was telling me that i should be eating salami because i need the fat. ugh.

i am going to try very hard not to drink any more alcohol during this challenge.

I have a new goal for this challenge - starting next week i will be doing all my workouts in the am! this will be difficult for me, but there are so many other people doing BFL that have way more difficult challenges to face.

i am a 29 year old single, childless person that doesn't pay rent and can walk to her gym. yea, getting up at 4:30 sucks, but so does being out of shape.

Happy Friday! Here's to a (next to) perfect 7 more weeks! :D

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can.

• Ok, you've confessed and can now stop beating yourself up.  :-)  You've illustrated one of the problems with alcohol, once you have some you stop caring what you eat.  And now you know, so take the information and move forward.  Don't let it be a challenge ender, don't listen to your mother, and keep on going!!!!!  

• This is exactly why Ive quit wine-ing   I have no control once Ive had a glass then two then the bottle then peanut butter and crackers and anything else in the house :)  move on many have done the same thing and guilt is a  _itch.

• thanks, Courtney! yea, not a challenge ender at all :D i have moved on.

i try not to listen to my mother as much as possible. LOL.

• jillian - do you drink anything then?? usually i wait for my free day, but i thought i could control myself with "just a little"  wine.

• therese_anne: I agree with Courtney - quit the pity party and move forward. You have put alot into your challenge already and there are great things yet to happen. I understand the wine thing (sigh) but remember you are in a better place for picking yourself up and continuing, then saying to heck with it and going back to where you were 5 weeks ago. Those "silent lovers" will be with you and in time, it does get easier to tell them to shut up!

Head up, uniform on - ROCK THE DANCE FLOOR!

• therese ann-

in my past challenges i have had wine on free days.  usually what i would do is make the wine itself my free food/drink and keep everything else 'legal' or at least pretty healthy.  so i would have wine with carrots and hummus, keep my dinner at the right portions and ratios, etc.  that was when i was single and living alone, though, so i didn't have unauthorized foods in the house at all.  this challenge will be different for me because i'm living with my fiance and we have partial custody of his daughter, who eats nothing but garbage.  a challenge within a challenge.  :-)

• OK therese_anne, it sounds like you have the right attitude about moving forward.

This is rhetorical and not intended to be answered here.  Why did you do for the wine?  In your post you said you purposely left the house to get it.  This is different than just cheating with something already in the house.  Think on it and what might be going on for you that you thought the wine would help.

My best wishes for health, happiness and discipline as you continue.

C1W9D1

• Legs...i have already shushed some silent lovers, but there are definitely some more to go....i've come so far, i wont let this set me back...

Courtney - wow, that does sound like a challenge! yea, i live with my parents and my sister...I certainly did not buy salami!! and i have two nephews who visit a lot so there is like this entire rack or chips, chex mix, cheese curls and other stuff sitting in the kitchen out in plain view!! plus a bunch of other junk. My parents don't eat very healthy and there is always leftover food when they eat dinner so that makes it tough, but i try to just eat my food without offending anybody.

my sister steals food from them though, so they lock a lot of their food up! LOL, so that helps a little.

• Very interesting about alcohol.  This is from an earlier post from BFL MIKE.

The main problem with alcohol  is not the number of calories it contains but rather the.. effect is has on fat metabolism…

A recent study, for example, has shown that even small amounts of alcohol have a large impact on fat metabolism.

In this study, eight men were given two drinks of vodka and lemonade separated by 30 minutes. Each drink contained just under 90 calories. Fat metabolism was measured before and after consumption of the drink. For several hours after drinking the vodka, whole body lipid oxidation (a measure of how much fat your body is burning) dropped by 73%.

The reason why alcohol has this dramatic effect on fat metabolism has to do with the way alcohol is handled in the body. When alcohol is consumed, it readily passes from the stomach and intestines into the blood and goes to the liver. In the liver, an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenate mediates the conversion of alcohol to acetaldehyde.

Acetaldehyde is rapidly converted to acetate by other enzymes. So rather than getting stored as fat, the main fate of alcohol is conversion into acetate, the amount of acetate formed is dose dependant on the amount of alcohol consumed.

For example, blood levels of acetate after drinking the vodka were 2.5 times higher than normal. And it appears this sharp rise in acetate puts the brakes on fat loss.

Again, I enjoy beer, and I’m not recommending that you quit drinking while doing BFL, but rather I want to inform you what is occurring inside your body when you do have a drink or few. I don’t want to waste the hard LBWO that I had today, or any day for that matter. I hope I didn’t offend anyone. That was not my intention. Make it a great day everyone.

• wow, Rachel - thanks. This is great information. did you drink alcohol during your challenge?

• My challenge was from January to April and I had a glass and a half of red wine on Valentines day.  I stay away from alcohol becuase it dehydrates me and lowers my self control.  

I used to drink all the time socialy.  My old thinking was that I really couldn't have fun without alcohol but that is not the case.  I have just as much fun hanging out with my friends and not drinking as when I do drink. I'm lucky to have very supportive friends who don't push it on me; that makes it much easier.

Another reason why I stay away from alcohol is that the next day I always feel like crap (even after 2 glasses of wine).  

I used my free days for a really delicious meal or a sweet treat not alcohol.  

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy a glass or two of wine everynow and then but I usually save it for a special occasion.  I'm going to a wedding on Saturday so I'm using that as my freeday and I will be enjoying some wine.  I don't drink becuase it's Friday or the weekend, I save it only for special occasions.

Rachel

• thanks

i drink it a lot socially right now. i am currently under the "it's the weekend, let's drink" mindset, but i am trying to break that. sometimes i drink when i am really bored too, which is bad.

it should be a special occasion thing...i would save so much money going out to eat if i didn't drink every time, too!!

pretty much all i do with people is to go out drinking. i think i better change that!

thanks again. have fun at the wedding.

• Before I go pregnant with my son who is now 2.5 I never thought I could have fun with people drinking if I wasn't drinking.  Obviously I wasn't drinking when I was pregers and my friends and Husband are all beer drinkers.  I realized then that I could have just as much fun not drinking as I did when I was drinking.  The best part is I'm the desiganted driver, I always feel great the next morning and I save a ton of money!  Drinking is not all that it's cracked up to be.  

Thank you!  I plan on having a blast!

• Therese_anne,  I quit wine for the challenge and did not drink at all the first 4 weeks even on my free day.  I will now (on a free day) have the occational beer.  Not as good but relaxing.  :)