How many Grams of protein a day or calories?

• I'm 21.5 years old, about 5'3-'5'5.

And Never really been in shape.  I was doing some math the other day and came up with like
    1800 calories a day 40 grams of fat and 180 grams for both carbs and protein.

I don't know if i should eat more or less than that...thanks in advance. :)

• This is a controversial question.  The following comes from a reliable source:

How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg

2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights

154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg

70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day

However, my average is 128 grams protein per day (female, 125#) - about 30% of my total dietary intake.  I try to keep fat lower than 30% (mostly mono and polyunsaturated) and that leaves 40% for carbs.  Your requirements may differ.  If you follow BFL (the original book plan) exactly as written, you shouldn't have any worries.  Hope this helps!

• BFL works as written, meaning that you should eat 6 small meals a day.  Concentrate on a palm sized protein portion and a fist sized carb portion, hit your 10's working out, and don't worry about calories or grams of protein.

Good luck!

• Dave is correct...don't worry about those numbers...follow the book.  If you do like to follow numbers, everything is based on what you want to accomplish.  Maintain weight  then it's close to .8gr of protein per lb per day.  To build muscle to help burn fat you want to increase that.  That is where it gets hazy.  I have read from 1.2 - 2.2gr per lb.  Calorie intake is the same.  for women 1800 - 2000 per day.  Increase muscle...bla bla bla... 2000 - 2400, or more....again..gets hazy due to what you are looking to do, and your metabilism.  I know of a woman who eats more than 3000 cals a day and is 8% body fat...everyone is different and every persons body reacts differently to all of this.  As I have said about supplement...do your research and sometime experiment on yourself to see what will get you to where you want to be in your fittness goals :)

Tis better to look UP in the mirror to be inspired than to look DOWN at the scale and lose your desire!! - SEM

• The 1 gram per pound of scale bodyweight standard is the most precise and best method. Also, it IS the Body-for-LIFE program. That's something that EAS and Bill supported for all those beginning years. It also works out. If you look at standard portions for your size and then do the math, it will be rather close to the 1 gram rule method. 

The original Myoplex Lite was 25 grams of protein and 25 of carb. That's because the "average" woman, whatever that means, is 150 pounds. :)

I think the 1 gram rule is the easiest, personally. My palm and fist gets "bigger" when I'm hungry, cranky, or tired. Knowing I'm having 140 grams and that's decreasing, of course, of good quality protein, spaced throughout the day, is the easiest way for me to keep on track, but that's just me.

Palm doesn't work for tuna, hard boiled eggs, and so many other things that are essential to my plan.  

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Thanks to the max Jessica. :) lol

I was eating 120 ish and it sempt to be working.

I started eating 4-5 eggs. :D lol

bodyforlife.com/.../5928.aspx