Protein intake

• Hi 

I think I am feeling a bit confused about something. If I am wanting to BUILD muscle, are you meant to stick to the protein the size of your palm principle; I read in M and F magazine that you are meant to take 1g of protein for each kilogram of your body weight but i think that was to maintain muscle? If you want to increase muscle do you basically increase the amount of protein you consume, say take 2g of protein for each kg of weight that you are

thanks, would appreciate your thoughts

thanks

Emmy

• Hey Emmy!

You are correct that to MAINTAIN your current body weight, you should take in 1g of protein per pound of weight.  Most professionals recommend bumping your intake to 1.5 - 2g of protein per pound to help build the muscle stronger and bigger after the breakdown at the gym.  

Also, I would find out how many calories you are burning per day.  If you are like me (underweight), you think that you are eating a lot, but you are eating no where what you burn. You have to have that surplus of calories at the end of the day to start gaining weight.  A surplus of 3500 calories = 1 pound of weight.