1st Week and Always Hungry

• Hi All,

This is my first week and I'm finding that no matter what I eat I can not get rid of my hunger feelings.  It even seems like drinking more water seems to make it worse and I cant seem to rid myself of the headaches.  I would be tempted to say  maybe I'm not eating enough but I find that hard to believe.  I included a day of meals that I have in plan for critique.  Please give me feedback...I don't know if I can push through this if I constantly feel hungry with massive headaches

Meal 1

100 Cal Whole Wheat Bagel with 2 scrambled eggs and 3 slices of turkey bacon

Water

Meal 2

Greek Yogurt with kashi for extra protein

Meal 3

Turkey and white bean chili about a cup or so with a large bowl of Romaine lettuce and 2tbsp of reduced fat balsamic vinegarette and an apple

water

Meal 4

Myoplex protein Bar

water

Meal 5

Turkey and white bean chili about a cup or so with a large bowl of Romaine lettuce and 2tbsp of reduced fat balsamic vinegarette

Caffeine free Tea sweetened with Stevia

Meal 6

Apple with one Tbsp of natural peanut butter

water

• Doesn't look too bad.  The bagel isn't terrible but 1/2 cup of oatmeal might stay with you longer.  Chili is hard to quantify and you had it for both lunch and dinner.  I'm not sure you'd have a palm size portion of Turkey in a cup of Chili so you may be shorting yourself there.  You can add a veggie like broccoli or cauliflower to lunch and dinner, that may help.  Stay with it, your appetite will adjust pretty quickly.

• I did try oatmeal on Monday I think and I was hungrier than ever with that...Oatmeal has never satisfied me for long so I was trying to come up with alternatives that would leave fuller longer.  I got the chili recipe from the recipe section on the BFL site and divided it into 6 servings... this is what the recipe said it made so I assumed 1 serving per meal?

• The apple/ peanut butter isn't much of a meal, at least for me it wouldn't be. LF cottage cheese with sliced fruit is fantastic, and I think it is filling. I also feel like a lot of the "hunger" the first week is sugar withdrawls....could this be part of it? Oh, and whenever I feel extra hungry, I add in more veggies!

Melissa

2012 Body-for-LIFE Champion, Women 18-29

• I agree with Melissa. A tiny meal with leave you hungry and cranky. Try bell peppers stuffed with ground turkey, wild rice and marinara sauce. Those rock! Let me know if you want specific recipes. I also suggest tuna  with egg whites, avacodo, veggie and nonfat cheese in the morning. For carb you can have a handful of tortilla chips, as long as you don't over do it. If I under size my portions on one or more meals I get tired and frustrated too!

You can do it.

• First off, the first week can be hard. And by hard I mean awful. Your body could be detoxing from whatever diet you were eating before, and that can explain the headaches and hunger pangs. It DOES get easier.

Melissa is right on: If you're hungry, I'd suggest upping your vegetable intake. Romaine lettuce isn't really high in nutrients or much of anything, really. Add some fresh tomato, zucchini, broccoli, cucumber, kale, bell pepper, or whatever other types of raw vegetables you like. It will make a huge difference. And while the book says to have vegetables with at least 2 meals, the "at least" is where you can really go wild. I had vegetables with 4 or 5 of my meals, even if it was just one celery stalk, and it helped carry me along.

You may be better off avoiding low fat dressing. They tend to have a lot of junk in them and not enough healthy fats. If you like balsamic, I'd recommend just adding 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil and 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar to your lettuce in its place.

Sometimes eating the same thing for 2 meals in a day can negatively affect your metabolism and "fool" your body into thinking it hasn't been fed. I don't know all the science behind it but I've heard about this in several places and have experienced it firsthand when I've eaten too many leftovers for too many consecutive days. You may way to consider freezing the chili portions and having them spaced out a couple days apart to avoid this.

For breakfast, try doing the bagel and instead of 2 scrambled eggs, do 1 whole egg with three additional whites. This will give you more protein without the fat and calories. You'll end up with a greater nutrition ratio and less fat that way. Mix some low-fat feta or cheddar and fresh spinach into the egg, or make it omelette style with the turkey bacon crumbled with some mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, or whatever you like. Sometimes eating too plain can be a big pitfall.

Good luck!

• I see that you said you tried oatmeal and it didn't keep you full for long. I eat oatmeal for breakfast every morning mixed with 1 scoop of vanilla EAS Lean protein powder and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter. It keeps me full for a couple of hours, but I find if I eat oatmeal without the protein powder, it doesn't keep me full. So you might try adding protein powder and see if it helps to keep you full. Good luck!

• For me, a great deal of what I thought was hunger was really my own mind playing tricks on me.  I had to learn to keep my thoughts in check and not hyper focus on my diet.  I was strict about what I ate but I put it out of my mind and focused on other things like how much better I was starting to feel.  Especially when other people around me began to make comments once they noticed I was losing weight.  It was almost like, the more I thought about food, the crazier, more hungry I felt.  Enjoy each meal as much as you can and then remind yourself you'll be eating again in a couple of hours.  What it comes down to is: it's all in your mind.  Either you want it or you don't.  I had to say no when I wanted to say yes and yes when I wanted to say no.  I know it's easier said than done.  Good luck :)

• I found it hard when I did the first program as was so used to massive meals that it was weird to get used to not stuffing myself to the point of aching. I think that it can be weird to adjust to eating the amount that our body actually needs, but I wouldnt say i was actually hungry.  I am planning to start my next program on Monday next week as when i came off the last program, I went back to all my old ways. I want to try and set myself more concrete goals this time and going to aim for 15 % body fat i think, something measurable.