protein carb ratio

• I've just started the BFL program this week and have been looking through some of these posts in reference to how to eat correctly. I saw a post about the 40/40/20 . I am 49 yrs old I weigh 138 lbs and am 5'4" tall. How do I determine how much protein , carbs and fats I allow for each meal. I saw a formula on one of the threads but I wanted to make sure I was understanding it right.  I really want to make sure I'm doing everything right I've just always tried to stay away from fats and carbs so this is kind of new to me. Thanks for any help on this

• Portion control is the recommended method and believe it or not comes out to be right on target

protein = flat palm in area and depth

carbs = closed fist

fats = thumb 1st knuckle to tip

If you go the calorie counting route which, to me is, antithetical to the principles of BFL but I certainly understand that it can be helpful.

40/40/20 is a safe ratio

40% of you calories from protein and 40% from carbs and 20% from fats providing your daily calorie intake is 2000 or less

138lbs about 10 cals/lb of scale weight is usually sufficient  to support BFL if you have bodyfat to lose = 1380 cals/day

552 pro = 138g

552 cho = 138g

276 fat = 31g

If I consider your age 49, I would be inclined to reduce the fats to 21g which would knock the calories down to 1293 also upsets the macros. You are still above basil which I guesstimate to be around 1242

The problem with ratios is that you are basing them off the weight today, what happens when you lose weight? The ratios get thrown off and the tendency would be to keep messing with them and adjusting and you don't want to do that. You need to remain consistent for at least 4 weeks before revisiting the math.

I hope that makes sense - I saw you didn't have an answer yet so I figured I'd shoot a quick one to you before I head to bed so if it's not making sense I'll be happy to explain it a bit more when I am more awake and with it :)

• I am one that needs a number, so I use the www.myfitnesspal.com website to keep track of my proteins, carbs, and fats.  While it does count calories, I basically ignore that.  I changed the macros from their standard to 40-40-20.  It is a visual I can understand.  My name is the same on that website and my food/exercise diary is available for viewing for friends.  Please feel free to add me as a friend.  Also, the one that told me about this site is a huge success at this plan.  Her name to add is SchmertNat and she just requests you state you are from BFL so she knows how you find her. I am just completely my 4th week so relatively new, but always glad to help where I can.  We can help each other.  If anything I am more motivated today than I was 4 weeks ago.  The idea of changing from the inside out - well it is not an "idea" it is a reality.  I haven't moved the scale much but emotionally, mentally, and physically I feel better than I have in a long time.

• This is an area I need to work on too... I guess size of fist is roughly half a cup and palm about 4oz?  seems close anyway...

• thanks Jim I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I know this isnt supposed to be complicated but its so different than how I am used to eating. I want to make sure that I'm not messing up all my work with the weights and the cardio. thanks again and I hope you slept good ha ha !!!

• Hi Jim,

I just started tracking my calories on My Fitness Pal but have been finding that I am not getting equal amount of carbs to protein when I track.  I don't think I'm going overboard on carbs, but am consistently above on carbs and fats compared to proteins.  I know I've gained muscle, but don't think I've lost much fat yet.  I am just starting week 6.  Any advice you're able to give would be great!  Thanks!

• A portion according to Bill is 100-150 calories.  Don't pay attention to macros, because there is absolutly no need to.  If calories are the same, then you will lose the same weight if you eat 40/40/20 or 30/50/20 or 80/10/10.  Of course more protein means you will feel fuller longer.  You don't need that much protein to support muscle, in fact the average person only needs around 50-100g a day.  The only people that tell you different are protein companies.  There is no research to back it.

Just follow the portion control.  Don't be concerned about calories.  If you are not losing weight then reduce the portion, pure and simple.  If you are between 1200 and 1800 calories per day, then you are doing what was originally mapped out by Bill.  

• Hi Brenda4life.  I too re-started using myfitnesspal.  What do you mean changing the macros to 40-40-20?  Today is my first day and I am trying to stay within my 1200 calorie plan.  I'm ohdear27 in myfitnesspal btw.