Can this be done vegetarian?

• Can someone point me where to go to get some info on completing this program vegetarian?  I am new to the program and looking for some guidence.  Thanks!

• Most definitely. It's a little trickier getting your protein (though not as tricky as doing it vegan, which is also possible), but you can do it.

While I'm not a vegetarian, I am Eastern Orthodox, so during our church fasting periods I need to follow a nearly vegan diet. The first key to getting enough protein for me has been choosing mostly high-protein carbs like lentils, kidney beans, and soymilk. The second key is supplementing the protein with things like soy protein powders and soy protein isolate, and for meal replacement I use CLIF Builder's bars. I also love Boca Burgers which are quite high in protein and fiber. Morningstar Farms also has a good selection of vegan high-protein items, though I haven't tried those yet.

I'm assuming that dairy is OK for you (since you said vegetarian and not vegan), so that opens up many more possibilities. You have cottage cheese, skim milk, etc. for high-protein carbs and egg whites for protein, plus many popular supplements and meal replacements contain milk or milk derivatives (whey protein).

Finally, if you go to Google or Bing and try the following search terms - vegetarian "Body-for-life" - you should find plenty of helpful information.

• One other thought - the "palm-and-fist" method of measuring portion sizes is pretty much useless if you're doing the program vegetarian or vegan; you'll probably need to watch your grams of carbs and protein. Combining the most common rules of thumb I've seen here, your rough daily target would be one gram of protein, one gram of carbs, and a total of ten calories per pound of body weight. So if you're 200 lbs, that would be 200g protein, 200g carbs, and 2000 total calories.

My first several weeks, my breakdown averaged about 45% of calories from carbs, 35% from protein, and 20% from fat, with anywhere from 8-11 calories daily per pound body weight, and I got good results even though I was missing the "ideal" ratios by a bit. So don't obsess over hitting the target numbers exactly, they might not be quite right for you anyway. Just track what you eat, watch your results (not scale weight but body fat, measurements, workout performance and/or appearance in the mirror) and see how you feel, and be ready to adjust what you're doing.

• Finally, here are a couple of threads on this forum that dealt with doing the plan as a vegetarian:

bodyforlife.com/.../3784.aspx

bodyforlife.com/.../5095.aspx