sample day, feedback anyone?

• So this is my first week at this and I'm just not sure if I'm eating correctly.  Here's a little background. I'm in my 40s, I've been fortunate enough to have been able to eat pretty much anything and not gain too much until the last few years.  The weight started coming on and I didn't know how to change my eating habits.  So I tried low carb for awhile and it worked but it's not sustainable for me.  So here I am...Anyway, now I have a fear of eating too many carbs which is silly but I want this challenge to work.  Here's what I ate yesterday, can you please give me feedback on whether it's too much, too little etc?  Oh and I'm 5'6 and wiegh 166.

Breakfast 8AM after workout - 1 egg and 1 egg white scrambled in spray Pam with two mushrooms and two green onions for flavor and one whole wheat crumpet (Trader Joes 90 calories, zero fat, 19 carbs, 3 protein)

10:30AM - protein shake with 1/4 banana, handful of blueberries, 2 Tb nonfat Greek yogurt 1/2 c 2% milk and 1 scoop whey powder (25 g protein)

lunch 12:30 - 1/2 cup shredded cabbage with 10 popcorn shrimp (plain not breaded) salad with a tiny bit of olive oil & vinegar plus 1/2  turkey sandwich - Dave's killer bread (1 slice) hummus, sliced turkey & salami.

Snack 3:30 - banana protein muffin

DInner 6:30 - salmon, asparagus and grapefruit-quinoa salad.

Whew, so much food!  I feel like it's too much. Thanks for any feedback.

• Only 2 things struck me as unusual -- (1) most peoples' portions of eggs are more than 2 (3 or 4 whites), and (2), is salami anywhere on the approved lists? It seems like the fat content would be really high.

In terms of carbs, it doesn't look to me like you're overdoing it. Remember, some carbs are chemically necessary for the muscle-building process, and muscle-building is an integral part of how this program works.

• Mina Koi,

Your meals look pretty good. It is definitely not too much. You are right about carbs, It is very normal to be afraid of them but there is no need. Complex carbs are essential for many reasons. I would stick with this and see how you feel and what kind of results you are getting. If you are tired and have low energy add some more. You should never feel hungry either. The only thing I would add to this is more veggies (green leafy ones, peppers and cucumbers and such) and lots and lots of water, more than you think you need.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress :)

Orrin

• Oh thank you both!  No salami is NOT on the approved list...but I hate to waste food (just joking, I won't do it again).  I will add more egg whites (although that did seem to be the perfect amount of breakfast) and I will add more greens.  I have been drinking soooooo much water.  I'm very excited about all this and I will post my progress and read more of the forums to try to learn everything.  It's a whole new adventure!