lentils, yay!

• Okay, I have been a fan of lentils of years but I took a look at the nutrition ingredients for the first time and a 1/2 cup serving is 10g protein and 20g carbs. They are also high in fiber and oh so easy to make; unlike regular beans, they only take about 30-40 minutes to cook without soaking. FYI, I haven't met anyone yet that hasn't enjoyed a lentil taco!

I believe that this would count as a carb and a protein. I eat them at dinner with a green salad.

Enjoy!

-Katie

"The joy of life is the fruit of discipline."

S. Randall, 2010

"The joy of life is the fruit of discipline" -S. Randall

• I love lentils too!  Where is this lentil taco recipe and how do I get my hands on it?  Also, if the ratio is 10/20 then that would mean I need add another 10 grams of protein, right?

• They count as carbs, so yes you'll want to add more protein.  ;o)

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Do they count as carbs only, no credit for the protein?  This would mean we need to add 20g of protein, right?  I want to make sure I get the ratio balanced.  

• I would also like to find this lentil taco recipe!

Stacy Lynn

• Katie, how do you cook / season your lentils? I love them, but have only ever made them in soups, and I'm not sure my soup recipes are BFL friendly. I need to revamp them!

~Kimmie

"The limits you are living with right now, in every aspect of your existence, have been created by your mind. They are perceptions. And they are holding you back. You are capable of far more than you think you are." -Bill Phillips

• Okay, well, actually, I've never actually measured all the ingredients I put into the lentils for tacos, and the beauty of cooking tacos is that there are so many things you can add in that you like- cilantro, lime, jalapenos, extra hot sauce, tomatoes, chilies- whatever!

This a guestimate of my recipe:

1/2 package dry lentils (or 8 oz.)

1 tbsp canola oil

2 tsp. cumin

1 to 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic

1/4 to 1/2 cup onion, red or white, chopped or minced

1 cube vegetable boullion

salt and pepper to taste

-Combine all ingredients in saucepan  and cook as directed on package- I use about 4 or 5 cups water (sometimes I add a tsp here and there), bring it to a boil, then semi-cover and simmer for about 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. It makes about 6 servings (1/2 c is a serving).

To get my full 20g of protein in, I slice up some lowfat cheese or I will mix it with a little cottage cheese and salsa. I usually lay it over a salad with greens and peppers but the fam likes it in taco shells w/ cheddar cheese and lettuce.

Yum! Enjoy!

"The joy of life is the fruit of discipline" -S. Randall