Protein Powder....Help!

• So i've bought this powder and I've tried making several of the shakes but none of them have been edible. I've tried forcing myself to drink it, thinking it may be an aquired taste. But I can't do it anymore. Does anyone have any ideas how i can use this? i have two large things of it. One Vanilla, one Chocolate.

I appreciate any help you may have.

• I put one scoop of chocolate protein powder in my oatmeal for breakfast.  You'll need to make the oatmeal a little thicker than normal as the powder tends to thin it.  

I can't stand the shakes with just water.  I use about 4 oz of skimmed milk and 4 oz of water.  The milk gives it a little more flavor to make them tolerable.  

• Thanks HeatherC I will try using it in my oatmeal first thing in the morning.

• I use the vanilla protein in my oatmeal. I like that. The Chocolate not so much. Don't we need milk, is it not a good idea to use 8 oz of milk for the shake?

• I've heard it both ways.  Skimmed milk is no won the carb list online however it is not in the book.  It is probably not the best choice of a carb and it isn't really enough of a carb.  So I cut it down to 4 oz milk/4 oz water and pair it with a small apple or some strawberries.  

• Your protein powder might taste "bad" because of the brand...I love strawberry flavored stuff, but I got this one brand at GNC and it made me gag!  I use EAS Whey -Chocolate then I found a Body Fortress brand-Choc/Peanut Butter at WalMart.

I use the Myoplex lite for one of my meals during day and a reg protein shake and apple for another meal, the other meals are whole foods.

Hope this helps... :)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• I have both the EAS Premium Protein and the Body Fortress brand.  I only get Vanilla.  I like the Body Fortress for flavor and dissolvability better than the EAS.

• The guy who owns Cutting Edge Nutrition here in Indy told me not to buy the Body Fortress brand at Walmart.  He is a former body builder and so is his wife and they have been operating there store for 11 years.  So it's not like the kid at GNC working on commission talking...this guy knows his stuff.  For the life of me I can't recall exactly what the reason was.  I'll ask him again when I go in there.   I'm almost certain it was the amount or quality of protein and something they put int here for mixability.    He will only sell Sci-Fit and EAS at his store.   He recommends the Sci-Fit Isolate.

• I may have posted this before, but the only way I use my protein powder is a smoothie right from the EFL recipe book....I swear once you have one of those, you will want one every day, I did and do.  Keep in mind you will have to adjust the amounts the recipe calls for to your portion sizes...for example I use a 3/4" no fat vanilla yogurt, blend it up with vanilla protein powder, add in a 1/4" frozen no sugar added raspberries, two ice cubes and that's that.  

• Hi Heather,  If you do recall specifically what the store owner had a problem with let me know.  It is not uncommon for folks to talk down products they don't sell themselves so you will buy their stuff.  As to the comment about this not being a kid at GNC working on commission, I agree.  But as you stated the guy owns the store so he certainly has a reason to want to sell you his stuff.   I researched other boards before using Body Fortress and I saw no concerns.  The stuff does contain creatine which is a bonus for me since I cannot afford to buy other supplements at this time.  I have gone through the ingredient list and I have no concerns myself.  My results for my challenge have been good.  I only have one protein shake a day after workout.

• I don't think he was just trying to sell something.  In fact I told him I had been using Jillian Michael's brand of Whey Protein because it came in a smaller container and I could fit it in my desk drawer.  I said he didn't think there was a problem with that brand but he would look it up and call me if he found anything that concerned him.   He just specifically said stay away from the Body Fortress stuff .   I will try to stop in there this weekend and ask him again and let you know.

• Heather, have you tried making protein pudding? You just take a small box of sugar-free fat free pudding mix (I use chocolate) mix with 2 cups skim milk and 2 scoops protein powder. Whisk for 2 minutes and put in the fridge until set (about 10-15 minutes) This makes 2 servings. I also make a shake by taking about 1/2 a banana, cutting it into chunks and freezing. I then add 1 scoop of protein powder (chocolate), skim milk, the banana and about 1 1/2 tsp peanut butter (i eye ball it) blend it and enjoy. I like these recipes, so hopefully you will be able to find something that works for you. I agree that the brand can affect the way it tastes! My husband uses Nitro-Tech and you can't even taste the protein in the pudding. I use EAS and can detect some hint of protein in the pudding, but not much and I like it!

• Thanks guys.

@ DebbieMO i am using EAS Whey. I thought I might as well do it right if i was going to do this

@ foxyk i will try the protein pudding. i shouldn't be able to mess that one up lol

I'll let y'all know how it turns out. Thanks for the help.

• oh i forgot. i did try the oatmeal this morning and it was great! and fast....a big plus since i was running slightly behind.

• Glad to hear you liked it.  I love it!  I have oatmeal and protein powder every morning.  It's just the right combo to get me going.