Aspartame and Artificial Sweeteners

• I don't know how I did this, but I ditched the diet coke and replaced it with black coffee. I used to just have black coffee in the morning then a diet coke with my midday feeding and one around 3:00 with another feeding. I drink lots of water throughout the day.

I read an article that said the aspartame and other artificial sweeteners spike the appetite and can lower your metabolism. I only read one article about these findings. What do you all think?

Come visit my blog!

http://fittrac.blogspot.com

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you'll be right!

• I think if you can avoid all artificial sweeteners, you will be in a much better place.  Anything that isn't natural should be avoided, in my opinion.  I have heard a lot of debate on the diet soda issue.  I think some of it is psychological; some people feel that it is a free food/beverage, so they overindulge in other areas.  I also have heard that it causes sugar cravings, just like regular sugar.  I use truvia (stevia granules) to sweeten my foods, and on occasion, will have a Zevia (soda sweetened with stevia), but that is a very rare treat.  I prefer unsweetened iced tea.

Best wishes.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• I agree with BDmom, natural is best.  artificial sweeteners are like toxins.I use Stevia also 'cuz I guess it's all-natural.  And on free day I have Zevia soda as well.  Since I haven't had a 'regular' soda in so long, I kinda forgot what it tastes like.  (I didn't EVER think I'd be saying that.)

On occasion I use honey or agave nectar to sweeten things up, even though I know it's adding more carbs and I'm feeding the sugar beast inside me.  but in the long run, I'd rather do that than put those chemical artificial toxins in me.

I do however compromise and still have the protein shakes and powders, even though they're made with sucralose and it's man made.  I haven't found a happy medium there, I don't want to skip out on my protein powder.  And I chew the aspartame gum sometimes too :(    

• Greetings ELLEBLUE,   The only sweetner that I currently use (mainly in my morning coffee only) is truvia and I might note that stevia is the only artificial sweetner that is currently ok'd by DR OZ on a recent show of his as a possible alternative to sugar and others.  

• Thanks, everyone.

Is Truvia made by the same company that makes Stevia? I have Stevia to sweeten my herbal tea. I never heard of Zevia soda. I wonder where they sell that?

I'm probably better off staying away from the diet coke and the Arizona diet green tea. I heard about artificial sweeteners causing an surge in appetite.

BD Mom, I know what you mean about people overindulging in other areas, because their drink was a "freebie" as far as fats and carbs go.

Come visit my blog!

• I think 'stevia' is the name of the plant.  Truvia is one of the companies that makes and sells it in stores.

Zevia soda is sold at many health food stores and comes in many flavors.

Now this got me thinking and I went to Whole Foods today and a vitamin shoppe.  I was surprised to see different brands of "Natural protein powder" and their only source of sweetener was--stevia!!  It's been awhile since I've shopped around and I'm so happy stevia is being used more and more to sweeten these powders!!!!  So I bought a small canister and want to try it soon.  I only saw vanilla and chocolate flavors.  

• Right now, I'm drinking Myoplex shakes. They're sweetened with sucralose and another ingredient with the word "fructose" in it. I should look for protein powders with Stevia too. I wish I had a Whole Foods or Trader Joes by me. They are both 45 mins away from my house. Once in awhile, I will make a special trip to one of those stores.

Come visit my blog!