Baked French Fries?

• Me and my husband are having a slight debate on whether or not you can eat frozen french fries that are baked not fried.  He says that they don't have anything bad in them, so he should be able to eat them.  I say just because they're low fat doesn't mean they're good for you.  Can someone tell me if it's okay to eat them or not?

• Look at the rest of the nutritional info on them and the ingredient list.  Are they rolled around in all these chemicals and coatings to preserve them?  These aren't just raw potatoes cut up and thrown into a bag.  They were probably pre-fried at the factory, just like chicken nuggets and popcorn shrimp and pizza rolls.

A GREAT way to still be able to eat fries: slice a potato into fry-like strips.  Beat an egg white.  Dip the raw fries in the egg white and place on a baking sheet sprayed with Pam.  Bake at 425 for 10 min.  Season them with whatever you want, flip, then bake for another 10-20 minutes 'til they look done.

The egg white puts a nice crisp onto the fry!  No oil needed!  I've done with regular potatoes, purple potatoes, sweet potatoes.  Remember you stay within your portion size.

• Thanks OptiGirl!  That's what I told him.  I guess this means I win the debate!  And thanks for the recipe,  I'll try it and maybe that will make him feel better.

• A better choice might be sweet potato fries prepared the same way for those wanting to avoid white potatoes (raising glycemic level too high). My hubby and I are going to the store to pick up some salmon and good foods for the week and I think I will get a sweet potato and try it. I'll let you know how it goes!