A Touchy Subject

• Here's something a friend sent me decide for yourself,

The Most Toxic Fruit In America
    Apple pie, apple crumble, apple butter, applesauce, apple cider, crisp wedges of Granny smith apples slathered with almond butter. Yum!
    I bet you’re looking forward to enjoying autumn’s bounty of apples!
    But hold your horses, because...
    Apples are now the most toxic fruit
    The Environmental Working Group (EWG) just dethroned strawberries from the top position of its infamous “Dirty Dozen” list. This means that conventionally-grown apples contain the highest load of pesticides, as compared to any other fruit or vegetable.
    An apple a day won’t keep the doctor away
    Here are some disturbing apple facts you should keep in mind when shopping...
    The USDA tested 700 different apple samples and found residues of at least one type of pesticide on 98% of them.
    92% of apples contained pesticides even after being washed and peeled.
    After being sprayed with pesticides in the orchards, just-picked conventional apples are given another round of pesticide treatment to maintain their eye-appeal and to extend their shelf life.
    Apples are stored for months in supermarkets’ cold storage; during that time, their nutritional value decreases and they also lose flavor and crispness.
    Conventional apples also contain nitrates, the same cancer-causing preservative found in bacon, cold cuts, and pepperoni.
    Besides cancer, pesticide exposure has been linked to Parkinson’s, brain damage, ADHD, and lower intelligence.
    “Do I have to quit apples?”
    Here’s some good news: You can have your apples and eat them too. Just make sure to purchase organic apples -- because they’re only good for you when they’re not contaminated with carcinogens and neurotoxins.
    Like all pesticide-free produce, organically-grown apples are more healthful in five important ways...
    Organic produce does not contain pesticides.
    It’s not genetically modified.
    It has higher levels of vitamins than conventional produce.
    It has higher levels of minerals than conventional produce.
    It has lower levels of heavy metals and nitrates than conventional produce.
    “Must I always purchase organic?”
    I recommend that you do, because of the superior nutritional content. Organic produce does carry a higher price tag, but its health benefits are so significant that it’s a bargain compared to its cheaper conventionally-grown cousins.
    But this is a tough economy, and if your food budget is feeling the pinch, the produce on the EWG’s “Dirty Dozen” list are the fruits and veggies you definitely should not scrimp on.
    Here are the 12 fruits and veggies you should always buy organic because it’s hazardous to your health to consume the conventionally-grown versions:
    The new “Dirty Dozen”
    Apples
    Celery
    Strawberries
    Peaches
    Spinach
    Nectarines
    Grapes
    Sweet bell peppers
    Potatoes
    Blueberries
    Lettuce
    Kale/collard greens
    The EWG also publishes a list of the 15 fruits and vegetables that are fine to eat when conventionally-grown. This is because the edible portions are protected by sturdy husks, hulls, and rind. These are generally not grown with systemic pesticides (as strawberries are). Here are their current picks…
    “The Clean 15”
    Onions
    Corn
    Pineapple
    Avocado
    Asparagus
    Sweet peas
    Mangoes
    Eggplant
    Cantaloupe
    Kiwi
    Cabbage
    Watermelon
    Sweet potatoes
    Grapefruit
    Mushrooms
    Include this info with your shopping list and you’ll save yourself a lot of head-scratching, benefit-weighing, guilt and worry.
    Here are a couple of my favorite fall-friendly MyHealingKitchen recipes -- featuring an ingredient from each list.
     Zucchini-Applesauce Flax Bread
     Baked Onions with Brown Rice Buffalo Stuffing and Mushroom White Wine Sauce

The food industry doesn’t make it easy for you to make the most healing choices at the supermarket, but I am 100% committed to giving you the key information you need to do so. Together, we’ll heal, not harm, our bodies with every meal.
    What are your savvy solutions for bringing home the best foods for your family? What are your top challenges? Please share your tips, tricks, and sticking points with thousands of other readers, below!

• I eat about half of the top list daily. I do worry about pesticides and chemicals on or in my foods, but we don't always have access to organics at our local smalltown stores. There is always the Farmers Market, and I will be looking for what we can have from there.  Thanks for the update!