whiskey with water

• The original question was, "what will happen to my weight loss plan if I drink 1.5 shots of whiskey".

Your response was, "it will hold up your metabolism for up to 3 days".

I read that to mean that you will be burning calories from alcohol versus from food. So, not sure what you mean by "calories were never part of the equation here".

I also think it is quite an overstatement to tell someone that 1.5 shots of whiskey = up to 3 days of metabolism being held up....no offense. Just trying to convey a more balanced opinion on the subject.

• I said it could hold up the metabolism for up to 3 days and it can.  You read what I said as definitive and it was not.  You misquoted me.  The precise impact depends on too many factors for us to quantify.  

My answer had zero to do with calories.  My point was actually that calories were not the point.

Balance depends on the goal.  Alcohol is not a best practice.  If  you want to lose a few and just get somewhat healthier, then fine, it's a matter of your goal.  If  you want ripped and are into doing it the best you can, then leave it for your day 84 celebration. 

As I already said, an occassional drink at a special occassion will not derail your contest.  It's a matter of regular behavior. 

It's up to you to decide your goals and then, if they are really your goals, to have actions congruent with them. 

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Facts are facts I guess, but it does really depend on everyone on an individual basis. Me personally, I am in an relationship (not married), am in my late twenties, am a hair stylist (we like to have fun), and my boyfriend and I have a close knit group of friends who like to hang out with a few brews. Needless to say, abstaning 100% from alcohol is very hard for me (not to mention, this is my prime time of my life to have fun!). However, on BFL, I have cut back alot on the alcohol. On my free days- You bet I will have some drinks. On the other days, I offer to be the designated driver. Two birds with one stone- Good friend + makes it easier to abstain from drinking! I do find in the middle of my work week after dealing with the general public, I like a couple of drinks. Instead of 2 glasses of red wine, I drink 1 or 2 glasses- Half wine, half seltzer water (Mind you these are 5 oz, not goblets of wine). I have found my way of going about alcohol on BFL has not made any impact. This is my second challange, and the first one I did not drink at all during the week- I am on the same track, and not found alcohol to be a problem.

• Blueglass,

I feel your pain. I was making Sundays my free day, because I watch a lot of football with my friends and beer is was always part of the festivities. I didn't get a whole lot accomplished with my BFL goals. I did lose 15 pounds during the football season, but I feel I would have lost more fat and gained more muscle had I only partook of the football food and not the beer.

Come visit my blog!

http://fittrac.blogspot.com

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you'll be right!

• So what is the consensus? I like to drink beer. Should I wait until my free day, or is it ok to have a couple throughout the week?

• I vote for free day only...slippery slope otherwise. For me, the alcohol is not the huge concern...it's the loss of inhibition with regards to eating calories after the fact, as well as, the less intense workout the day after. But then again, I am not know to stop my drinking after one or two drinks....never had an urge for just one or two.

• I agree with TMastro in that I just can't have one or two either.  If I'm gonna drink its gonna be 6 to 8 beers.  So in my case it's better to just not drink on my free days.  However I did have 9 beers on the Super Bowl and have regretted it ever since!!!  

There has been alot of studies that state that alcohol will slow down your metabolism.  Personally I agree with what Jessica-MIghty Max said in an earlier post.  Besides for the 1st week which I lost 7 lbs, every week I have lost between 2 and 3 1/2 lbs except for the week after the Super Bowl which I only lost a 1/2 lb.  I have to attribute the 1/2 lb only loss to the beers I consumed on the Super Bowl.

Personally I would recommend not drinking on your free days until you get to your desired weight.  Once at your desired weight you could drink one or two times a week and still maintain the weight you are at.  At that point it's all about moderation!!!

• Got to counter the alcohol impact point again...have had between 8 and 12 lite beers each free day...just finished week 6....down 4 pounds this week and 21 overall. 49 years young, 5'11", 213, 25% body fat...down from 30% 6 weeks ago...do not believe my free day beers have cost me any more than any other calories...actually, I think if I ate those calories in pizza and wings I would be much worse off.....

• There wasn't a control group, which means that you have absolutely no way of knowing. 

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• I vote beer or any other kind of alcohol on free days only. Even my Miller Lite is 100 calories per bottle.

On Superbowl Sunday, I had a party and ate all kinds of junk foods (I made Sunday my free day). I drank 6 or 7 beers. Some weekends I don't have any beer on my free day. I guess it's up to the individual. If he / she sees the results are slow coming, then omitting the beer may be a good idea.

Come visit my blog!

http://fittrac.blogspot.com

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you'll be right!