protein powder

• i bought some last night for the first time ever!

this morning i mixed some in with some oatmeal and i find myself practicially choking it down. is there any way to make it taste better? also, i might have "mixed" them wrong...

how do other people prepare oatmeal with protein powder?

what are some other things it goes with? it is chocolate flavored!

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can.

• For me, I use vanilla protein powder in my oatmeal. I make a large pot once a week, then every day just add the half cup to my bowl, add water to make it thinner, put in microwave then add the powder afterwards and mix.

If you add a few blueberries maybe you will like the taste better?

• UGH! i mixed them together first and microwaved the water, protein powder and oatmeal at once. it probably makes sense that it was disgusting!!

yea i shoulda went with vanilla. now i must eat the 29 servings left of the chocolate. lol.

how much powder do you add?

• I use the recommended scoop ( 1 serving ) Whatever your brand says is a serving.

Chocolate would be weird for me too. LOL. I have tried Strawberry, but Vanilla is my fave.

• actually i think i only got it because it was all they had at the store. it's a big commitment - 30 servings!! thanks

• Therese_anne, if you don't want to use it in oatmeal, don't fret. Make post workout shakes with it. Take one scoop of the whey protein, 8-10 oz cold water, a few ice cubes, 1/2 or whole banana and blend it. Makes a nice tasting shake and really good for your body after a hard workout.

• that sounds awesome. will try. thanks Mike!

• I have protein oatmeal at least once a day.  I cook half a cup of oats in 1 cup of water in the microwave for about 3 minutes and then add a scoop of chocolate protein powder.  I also add some flaxseeds to it as well.  It is super yummy!  Everyone in my office thinks it smells like I'm baking cookies.  :-)  

I've tried making these protein brownies where you microwave the protein powder in water with some egg whites and the consisency just never comes out right so I think it has to do with microwaving the protein powder!

• thanks for the recipe!

yes, microwaving the protein powder was certainly my downfall. LOL. it was so gross but i didnt want to throw it out...so like i said i CHOKED it down! such a cheap and easy meal though so i will follow your method from now on. thanks

• I am going through the same problem- Maybe why I have drifted? (No good tasting food!!) I bought protein hoping to give myself more of a variety- adding it to oatmeal and making shakes- but the whey protein taste is so strong, I almost can't eat it without gagging!  

Stacy Lynn

• I personally do not mix my protein with my oats, I've never been able to get it down.    For me it's mind over matter on the protein powders. The only one I really like is Myoplex Lite.  I use EAS Premium Protein from Costco primarily.  It's not nearly as rich as myoplex.  Protein becomes mind over matter eventually because you want variety and I personally get tired of chewing chicken.  I have the shakes because I know that I can get them down in a hurry and be on my way.

Stacy you can use all of the spices and herbs that you want to flavor your food.  

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Whenever I have oatmeal for breakfast I usually use vanilla protein powder. It tastes better than chocolate. The way I prepare it is I about 3/4 cup of oatmeal in a bowl....add water and nuke it for 2 min. I like mine on the "not so thick side" so I add a fare amount of water. After it is cooked I add 2 scoops of powder.....mix it thoroughly and eat. I have added a few blueberries which does taste quite good. Having said that.....that is not my favourite breakfast. My fave is protein pancakes.....by far. I cook up a big batch once every couple weeks and freeze them so they are handy, quick and tastey. All the best!!!

fit4life "The dream must be bigger than the pain"

• I only use the protien powder for shakes.  They taste delicious with banana and frozen raspberries!   I'm in this for life so I want to enjoy what I consume.  I don't want to "choke down" anything becuase I know if I do not fully enjoy my fuel I will not consume it.  Find something that you like and enjoy.  That is my best advise!  

Rachel

• I make my oatmeal the same way as Legs and fit4life.

I also do this for one of my meals usually M4

1/2 cup Non fat greek yogurt, 1/2 serving of strawberry protein mixed together and fold in 6-8 chopped strawberries...

Yum!

BFL changed my life!

• i just bought my protein powder today as well. I bought it because I thought I could make a quick smoothie for one of my meals. Am I the only one that thinks it is 'chalky'? I like the oatmeal and pancake ideas. I may try that one day this week. I would also love anymore ideas. I bought both vanilla and chocolate.