Concerns about whether I am eating too much or not enough

• Hello all,

I am at the tail end of my 3rd week on my first attempt at BFL (started 7/9/11). I am taking this challenge along with my husband. We are on this great debate on actually how much or how little I should be eating. We have read the BFL book and I have been reading different posts here on the website. I had a good grasp on the concept of the program when I read the book but have been second guessing things after reading blogs on this site. The book says to use your fist/palm for servings (I have small hands). The site says that too as well as 1 gram of protein/carbs per pound of body weight. Well I only weigh 110lbs and only 5' tall. That means I am limited to only 18.5 grams of protein/carbs per meal. My goal is to loose the fat, gain muscle and over all leaner. So if I use the 1gram per pound of body weight, that gives me a total of 110g each for the day. For example one meal would be: only 1/3 cup of brown rice for my carb portion (approx. 16 grams carbs) and 2 slices of Boars Head Turkey (3 oz.) which is approx. 19 grams protein and a veggie. Is this enough?

I am not so worried about loosing the weight on the scale as I know the muscle weighs more than fat. I just want to be sure I am following the program correctly and that my goals are met at the end, i.e. loose the fat and gain the muscle but still keep my girlie figure. I don't want to get half way through and realize that I have been doing this wrong by eating too much/too little. Prior to BFL, I was only eating around 800 calories per day. So this is a real challenge for me to really eat but I want to be sure that I don't over eat in the process. I started out at 111 pounds and have only dropped 1 pound. I would expect that I would drop some in weight at first while burning the fat and then put on a few pounds as my muscles grow.

Another issue that I have been experiencing is tiredness. Some days I just need to sit down and shut my eyes for 10-15 minutes to recharge. Is this due to not eating enough or eating to much? 

I love my juicer and I have only made two juices since I started BFL. One I made with 8 carrots and 1 apple and added a scoop of protein powder with it. Since carrots are listed as a vegetable in the book, I didn't think this was a big deal, until I read a blog that said they should be used as a carb!!! Talk about carb over load on that day. I really over did it with 8 carrots. I thought, wow I could really get some use out of my juicer and get my veggies down but not the case. My second juice, (I know this was too much) I used 2 peaches, handful of strawberries, then blended with 1 banana and 1 scoop of protein powder, I realize now that it had too many carbs in it (for me anyway). It would have been ok without the banana in it as the peaches where small and only have around 10g carbs each. Silly question but could this cause me to crash due to all the sugar from the fruits?

Here are two days worth of my meals:

Prior to my workouts I have been taking Creatine, post workouts Glutamine. I have been told the Creatine will hold fluids.

By the way, I think my workouts are going well.

M1: 2 low-fat whole wheat waffles w/ 1/2 slice banana, 1/2 cup ff greek yogurt, 1 flax tablet

M2: EAS 100% Whey protein shake, 1 peach

M3: Boars Head Turkey with lettuce and 1/4 of an avacado on 2 slices whole wheat bread (my husband thinks I should cut this down to half a sandwich)

M4: EAS 100% Whey protein shake, 1 cup fresh strawberries blended

M5: grilled Turkey breast (palm size), 1/2 cup brown rice, edamame beans & 2 cucumber spears.

M6: 1/2 cup ff cottage cheese (only 13g protein) & cantaloupe

Another day:

M1: missed this meal because I was just too tired to get up early. Usual rise time is 6:30 am

M2: EAS 100% Whey protein shake, 1 cup almond milk, 1 fresh peach blended

M3: 1/2 cup cottage cheese, fist size portion of fresh pineapple

M4: EAS Whey protein shake, 1 cup almond milk, 1 banana blended

M5: Lean Venison (palm size), corn on the cob, Asparagus, cucumber slices

M6: ff greek yogurt with honey (10g protein, 13g carb) & walnuts

Any advice, tips, concerns would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my concerns!

Donna

• Hi Donna-

I am only at the beginning of my 2nd week....so I can't really give you any advice....all I can do is concur with you. From what I've read and understand also....the portions are supposed to be palm sized, but also read the post where you are supposed to get 1 gram of protein and carbs per pound of body weight. Your meals look great to me. Someone on another forum post recommended the site myfitnesspal.com they have a GREAT food diary where you can keep track of what you are eating and it also tells you how many carbs and protein each meal contains. The site asks you to input some info and in the end suggests how many calories you should be eating and all- but I honestly just pay attention to the carb/protein proportion. I understand that we should be eating the same amount of carbs and protein, the site helps me to see that my special k meal bar for example is good with carbs....but lacking in the protein department. Your turkey sandwich for example, if you input everything on the site it may show that the meal is lacking in protein....maybe you'll need to add another slice of turkey.  (Your husband will flip over that! haha) As far as being a bit tired....I believe it's the exercise....a good sign, your body needs more rest when it is recuperating from the work outs. Looks to me like you are on the right track. Good Luck to you and your hubby!

• Your meals look pretty good but I am in agreement with your husband on WW bread/WW waffles.  You will do so much better with non-bread carbs like rolled or steel cut oats or 1 egg+3 whites and 1 small red potato scrambled together.

You are a small person and 18-20 grams protein per meal is plenty for now.  As you regulate your food intake and don't skip meals, your body will begin to let you know when it's truly hungry as opposed to getting used to eating more regularly.

The other thing you can do is limit your tropical fruits to 1 serving a day or substitute berries for them all together.  Blueberries and strawberries are much lower in sugar than pineapple and bananas.

I would also switch the bedtime meal to cottage cheese or plain greek yogurt with blueberries and the walnuts.  Your body has no need for the quick digesting honey before going to bed.

Building muscle does not require more than 1 gram of protein per pound of "lean mass" in order to build more mass.  You can maintain your healthy muscle mass on as little as .8 grams per pound so 1 gram gives you plenty of growth protein.  

I hope this helps.  And don't be mad at Hubs on the bread and waffles, he's truly just trying to help.  

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• One other thing.  I'm not saying you can't have the bread, I'm only saying that the cleaner your food is, the better your results will be.  And yes, it's that simple.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Thank you Champster for the tips. I will start right away wiith implementing them. Honestly, I am a bit releaved as I have never been a big bread eater. I have always felt it fills me up too much that I can't really enjoy better foods. :-)

@Diane - Thanks for your input too. I actually have myfitnesspal on my smart phone but have only been using it to be sure I am getting my calories up to the 1200 mark.

• Just to clarify on the sandwich issue - when you say half a sandwich, you are only taking about omitting half the bread, not half the protein?

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Yes, I would much rather eat my 3 oz. of turkey and avocado rolled up in a piece of lettuce and an apple on the side! :-) Thanks Saralynn for the clarification.

• I am eating every 2.5 to 3 hours but I am finding I need less quanity as I progress I am on the 3rd week of the diet portion and on the 2nd week of the exercise coupled with the diet. Even on the free day I am not as hungry for food like I thought I would be??