BFL while deployed; limited complex carb options

• Hi,

I just started week 3.  Currently deployed to Afghanistan.  Great gym and facilities, but the food at the dining hall is causing me some stress.

The good; Boiled eggs, egg whites, oatmeal, wheat bread, tuna, turkey, cottage cheese, fresh fruits and fresh veggies.  Some baked chicken, decent seafood choices.

The bad; white rice, white bread, white bagels, white tortillas, white pasta, etc.  Lots of greasy meats, lots of cooked in butter foods

Obviously I can't cook for myself and this is not a location where I have other options available.  The food is geared for an infantryman's calorie needs, so fat and flavor trump lean and mean.

I might grab eggs and oatmeal for breakfast, then fruit and protein shake for snack, maybe chicken and fruit for lunch, tuna or turkey on whole wheat for snack, then pasta for dinner with a shake for another snack.  I have only been eating 5 times a day, 8, 1030, 1, 330 and 6.  I usually skip the last snack as I am not hungry at all.

So can I get away with eating white rice and white pasta in smaller amounts?  Or should I skip them entirely.  There is always a sandwich option, but for whatever reason wheat bread is only available at breakfast.  Should I just stick to fresh fruit for my carbs?

Any advice or suggestions from anyone that did this while deployed would be great.  

Thanks!

Lee

• Hi Lee,

Eat your sixth meal whether you're hungry or not. It will pay off later. Don't eat the simple carbs in small amounts. They're useless on this program. They're like "benzene" versus "diesel" as a fuel, you eat simple carbs, (benzene), they fill you up, then few minutes later.. poof they're gone. You need complex to sustain a steady slow burning energy (diesel) for the body to keep going.

Up your protein if you can. Fruits that are allowed on this program are pears, apples, nectarines, peaches, strawberries (6-10 in one portion), grapes (6), melon (open hand size slice), oranges (medium), cherries (10 in one portion), and someone said bananas but I don't remember seeing that in the book.

Courage isn't lack of fear. It's our ability to carry on despite our fear

• Lee,

Thank you for your service! 

I think sometimes we need to make whatever we have available work.  I don't know your schedule.  Can you store chicken breasts in your own fridge?  In other words, when they're available, can you stock up for the week? Anyone have a hot pot?  That would increase your ability to cook at times. 

Don't worry about fruit.  For your purposes, in the right amounts, all fruit is good.

I think both complex and simple carbs have value.  For instance, a simple carb is best with meal 6.  I have 2 complex carbs per day.  To have 6 would be too much for most people.  You are likely very physical so you might do more. 

Do you have access to potatoes?  I think they're a great carb.  Some are scared of them, but when eaten in proper proportion, they're terrific. 

How can we help? 

Jessica

• Hi Jessica,

Who said that simple carbs are allowed on BFL? I have never seen it anywhere.

• #1 there are foods outside of the holy bfl list that you can eat...i know rocket science isnt it?

and to be correct, all fruits are simple carbs. You would be better served to assign them as refined/unrefined.

cmon with these recommendations. You can only have 10 cherries LOL yup after 10 all cherries turn to fat.

• it's all in black and white with you Charlie, isn't it? 10 cherries are a portion of fruit. After 10, they do what more than two apples do. Or three or four.

• 10 cherries = 50 calories, 10g of carbs. I think my man in afghanitown can eat more than 10 grams of carbs in one setting.

• We can only tell him what Bill Philips wrote. It will be up to him to figure it out. He might be manning the archives, you never know lol

• I personally would skip the white rice and bread altogether as suggested in the BFL guidelines. Try your hardest to stick to the book and the results you see will be better. Just keep in mind that if you have a little white rice, ect... you might still see results, but they won't be a effective. I know it seems like such a small change, but the outcome will actually show you the difference your diet has made.

• Thanks for the replies so far.  Trying very hard to limit the white rice.  None since posting this.  The book allows pasta, so I have a small portion of plain noodles when they offer it.  We seem to have chicken every day in some form, so I don't normally need to stockpile that.  They also make fish about every day, but I avoid it; everyone that eats fish gets sick!  

I started doing my protien shakes with skim milk, so I get a protein and a carb out of the drink.  That way I dont need to find another carb.

We do have baked potatoes about once a week.  I have them with a little butter.  We might have mashed potatoes a few times a week, but I usually skip them.

The sandwich bar alway has wheat bread, tuna and turkey so I can usually get a decent sandwich if I need one.  Cottage cheese and lowfat yogurt are normally on hand, but supplies do slow down from time to time.

Thanks for the information and insight.

Lee