Can I fulfill my carb needs w/ fruit and veggies instead of bread?

• I really want to cut down on my intake of processed foods and gluten, including bread. Therefore, I would like to substitute fresh fruit and vegetables for the carb requirements of my diet. For example, this morning, instead of oatmeal, I ate a small tangerine, 1/2 pear, spinach, and tomatoes with my eggs and yogurt.

Is this appropriate? Will I have the amount of energy I need with this kind of diet?

• You can use fruit as a carb, but I would suggest at least 1 and maybe 2 complex carbs per day.  Bread isn't a good option anyway.  Steel cut oats, brown rice, quinoa and sweet potatoes are all great choices.

I actually think yogurt AND the 1/2 pear and tangerine is likely too much carb.  

Have you read BFL about portions and such?  

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Yes I did read the book, used a small amount of yogurt, probably 1/4 cup (or less) I think my portions were appropriate for a meal.The tangerine were one of those really small "cuties" less than 1/4 the size of a normal tangerine.

Steel cut oats are out of the question- 1/2 hour prep time. I am using whole organic oats from Trader Joe's as my oatmeal option. So I can have oatmeal and protein in the morning, maybe a tuna sandwich for lunch with multigrain bread, and fruit, milk, yogurt, and veggies as my carb choices for the other meals and dinner.

• 1/4 cup of yogurt plus a 1/2 of pear and plus a tangerine = too much.  You would have needed only 2 of those 3 options. 

• You can also do tuna separately and have a piece of fruit as your carb.  Make your oats in large batches.  There's no need to cook daily.  I would hate that personally.  

• 1/4 serving of yogurt, 1/2 a pear, 1/4 serving of tangerine = 1 full serving, what am I going overboard with?

• How much do you weigh?  That would be a lot for most people, but maybe for you it's a portion.  I guess I don't know for sure unless I know your size. 

How did you determine it was 1/4 of a serving for the yogurt and tangerine?

• I weigh 155#

1 serving of yogurt = 1 cup based on the container

I try to do the "fist sized" measurements, 1 fist size protein 1 fist size carb. the tangerine, yogurt, and pear all appeared to measure up to a fist

• For a protein it's the palm of your hand, not including your fingers.  

Gotcha.  If you are going to mix and match carbs then maybe go by the 1 gram rule.  1 gram of protein and 1 gram of carb per pound of scale body weight.  It's not weighing things.  For instance, 4 oz of chicken is about 24 grams of protein.  

• it is certainly appropriate! however, i think it would be better (personally) if you used fruit and potatoes as your bread replacements (along with oats and other natural sources of course) to replace the carbohydrate requirement at meals.  while vegetables do contain carbohydrates, i would not consider them a "good source"...vegetables like the wide variety of greens, mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, etc are mostly water and low in carbs and calories.  fruits are higher in sugar (and fiber and lots of vitamins) and are great carbs at meals :)

• I would have to agree with neboti!  Fruit over the vege for the carb.  Good luck!

Kia Kaha - Be Strong

• We had a whole grain bun this weekend on our 'free/rest' day and that was the first 'bread/grain' we have eaten the entire challenge ...we are on day 12 and have both dropped over 10lbs each! We use fruit and veggies at most every meal and other than what's in the EAS RTD shakes we use, RAW honey and RAW milk and RAW milk yogurt...that's are only Carb we ingest!

Our strength and energy has went WAY up and I think if you're going to use fruit and veggies for your only carb then portion size does not matter quite as much, especially with the veggies...still be aware, but compensate with more quality fat and lot's of lean protein! AND intense, intense workouts!!!

If you do eat the occasional bread/grain you'll be fine as well!

It's just definitely NOT the optimal choice for health and fitness goals, in my opinion.

All the best!

~Rob

• I double checked the BFL rules against a normal calorie calculator. I eat 2400 calories a day, and 3200 on Sundays. Portioning it out comes up with just about exactly what the BFL rules suggest.

If you are worried about your portion sizes, I'd double check them against their calories and see if your daily food intake adds up to something similar.

I don't think the 1/4 cup of yogurt with the fruit is too much. It couldn't be much over 100 calories. Double that for the protein x 6 is 1200, which is probably low for what a nutritionist would tell you to eat.

• Reading everyone's response to the 1/4 cup of yogurt and some fruit is scary to me.   a pc of fruit is nature's desert and although 14 tangerines may be too much, i cant imagine that 1/4 cup of yogurt, and 2 fruits would hardly count as too much food.  But again, I am not a nutritionist nor a doctor to say for sure.  Nevertheless, I always thought that a balanced meal should contain a lean protein, a 1/2 cup grainy carb and some sort of water based veggie..... is that too much food?  

• There are actually some interesting studies on yogurt and fat burning.  Fast google should bring them up.