Snack ideas other than shakes

• Hi

Just wondering if anyone has ideas for snacks other than the myoplax shakes and bars.  I do have a shake for my last snack but would like to incorporate some other snacks with the right protein/carb combination. 

Thanks!

• Hi Dianah75, there are SO many great options out there! The key is to read labels and get creative. I am always online looking up ideas for high-protein low-fat snacks. Here are some of my favorites:

Fage 2% Greek yogurt with berries

A stick of string cheese and a piece of fruit/handful of berries

Crispbread (i.e. Wasa) with a 1-2 Tbsp of peanut butter

A slice of whole-wheat bread and some almonds

Tanka Bites/Tanka Bars

Different types of high-protein bars like Macrobar or Greens Plus+ Protein

High-protein muffins: I make berry muffins with whole wheat flour, artificial sweetener in place of sugar, skim or almond milk, and then I add 2-3 scoops of protein powder to the mix.

Crispbread with fat-free sour cream and smoked salmon with dill and capers

Can of tuna and a piece of fruit or crispbread

2% cheddar cheese on whole-grain crackers

Hope that helps! I loathe cottage cheese but if you like it, that is also a GREAT snack option when paired with yogurt or fresh fruit.

• Wow these are all great suggesstion... thanks so much!  I bought Greek yogurt last night but it was so bitter and thick I couldnt eat it.  Maybe it just takes time getting used to it?  I'd love to have your muffin recipe and the nutritional information on them.  Thanks again! :)

• Can of tuna is great! I also do oatmeal, fruits, cheese (2%) etc

• The only cheese mentioned in BFL is fat free cottage cheese. 

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Jessica -- the shopping list includes low fat cheese and a lot of the recipes in Eating for Life also call for it.

bodyforlife.com/.../shopping-list

We have the rest of our lives to perfect this....do your best and forget the rest!

• The shopping list is significantly more liberal than the book.  Follow the book.  That's what will bring amazing results. 

• Eating for Life is actually not a good source at all.  The recipes are way too high in calories, there's a lot of sauces, pasta, bread and questionable items.  Many aren't even meant for on plan and Bill does address this.  He also addresses the portion sizes on page 73, but few read that.  

Eating for Life is fine for maintenance or occasionally, but it won't yield contest results. 

If you'll notice, even a lot of the portions are off with regard to balance.  2 low fat cheese sticks, for instance, don't have nearly enough protein for 1 portion.

• If one has bread and either almonds or Natural PB then they aren't getting protein.  It would also need to include a portion of protein.  

• I was just commenting on your comment that the only cheese is cottage cheese. Obviously your statement contradicts the website and his recipe book, maybe you should have them update the list.  

We have the rest of our lives to perfect this....do your best and forget the rest!

• No, my statement was that the only cheese mentioned in BFL is cottage cheese and I am correct.  It contradicts the site, but that was actually my point.  The site does not represent the original list. 

Do you mean update the site or original list.  I wouldn't think the original list needed updating, except with things that are now more know about, like quinoa and Greek yogurt.

The website and his many years later, EFL, are totally different from the book. 

• The website and BFL are totally different because Bill Phillips no longer has any involvement with BFL.  

Also, as you said the book was never updated. Please remember when it was written low fat or fat free cheese was not readily available. Cheese companies didn't start offering reduced fat cheeses until the mid to late 90's.  Even Bill's new company Transformations recommended low fat cheese.

I personally do agree with you that there are better options but if someone enjoys it and will eat it I think they should include it in their diet.

• LF cheese was easily available when the program and then BFL was written.  It's simply not a good option.  BFL came out in 1999, as the book.  One can have a tiny bit, as a flavoring, but as a protein it just doesn't work.  

Bill's new company is NOT a good example.  Bill is no longer really into fitness.  He's into being more healthy, which is drastically different.  He's gotten somewhat heavy, which isn't a judgment, rather an observation about his new philosophy.  

It depends on your goals.  I enjoy french fries and they shouldn't be included in my BFL diet.  If you goal is to maintain or lose a few pounds, then fine.  It your goal is optimal fitness, to transform or to have an awesome contest, then no.  

• I saw Bill Phillips a few months ago and he is far from heavy and he still advocates his 6 meals a day and his fitness routine.

Like you mentioned it does depend on people's goals.  From what I have seen most people on this site are looking to become healthy and most importantly lose weight-- their main goal is not to become an athlete.  

Just so you know, I am in Whole Foods right now and they have a Fat Free cheese by Lifetime which has 8 grams of protein and 40 calories for 1 ounce of cheese. So actually someone could have 3 ounces of cheese and an apple and call it a day.  

• Did you see him live?  I thought he looked out of shape and he openly talks about being much less muscular.  It's not true that he still advocates his fitness routine.  He has a weekly show that clearly indicates that.  He's onto totally different things now.  

The people I know here are athletes, looking to do what's best for their bodies.  If someone just wants to lose a few pounds then by all means. That's just not what I typically see from BFL people.  

Losing weight and losing fat are totally different things.  Things like low fat cheese won't help lose fat and the real key to that is gaining lean body weight.  

Have if you want.  It's not a very good option.  It fails to provide good quality protein.