Vegetarian

• Greetings!

This is my third round with the program, and I am doing better now than ever. I am in week six now, which is further than I have ever gotten. A few questions:

1) I am a vegetarian, and I eat dairy but not eggs. I use dairy twice a day, once as cottage cheese and another usually in the form of a low fat cheese stick. I also use a variety of nuts (1/4 cup) a few times a week. I know that these are not on the "approved" list, but since I get fats from very little else, I think they are ok. comments/suggestions?

2) I usually have a salad with dinner, and sometimes it has a little starchy vegetables in it, like snap peas or corn. Should I count these as my carb or not use them at all?

3) Any creative ideas for protein besides the powder, tofu, or veggie burgers? (I love them all, but they get tiring sometimes)

I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks All!

"The joy of life is the fruit of discipline" -S. Randall

• Hi,

I'm a vegetarian too. My first challenge week 3.  For protein I use veggie burgers, tofu, tempeh, seitan, eggs, whey protein powder, cottage cheese, non-fat greek yogurt, and low fat string cheese. I get tired of the same things too, and I have a long way to go :)  I would think that the salad with a few starchy vegetables can just count as your vegetable. I'd like to eat beans and nuts for protein but not approved :( 

• No, I think that beans are approved, but one serving of beans count as a carb and a protein both. I eat nuts (very sparingly) bc we as vegetarians don't get the fat that comes from meat

• Hello Katie and Susan,

I am a vegetarian too and looking for someone to bounce ideas off during this challenge.  I start challenge #1 on May 23rd.  I am hoping to be able to swap recipes and get/give helpful advice during the challenge.  Have been a veg for 23 years.  I eat dairy, but no eggs or fish.  I have never paid much attention to my diet, but 2 weeks ago I started tracking my protein.  I can't believe how little I have been giving my body.  It's not wonder I am so weak now.  I am really looking forward to the strength that will come from feeding my body the protein it needs finally.  

Katie, I just saw your lentil taco recipe in an earlier thread - can't wait to try them!  Thanks so much!  Best of luck to both of you!

Nancy Jo

• Hi Nancy Jo,

I've been vegetarian for 20 years. I do eggs and dairy. For my protein, I do whey protein powder, cottage cheese, eggs, tempeh and seitan. I was doing veggie burgers, but I don't know that they're the best, all that processed stuff that's in them. I too noticed I hardly ever ate protein before, maybe just beans and nuts, and now notice that the protein does make a difference, you'll be stronger and get leaner. I'm in week 9 of this program so feel free to ask me anything, not that I'm an expert though :) Good luck to you.

• Hi!  Thanks for the reply.  I am sure I will have a lot of questions.  Is this your first challenge?  What kind of results have you had so far?  I ask because I wonder if being a vegetarian will hinder the results.  My husband and I plan to enter the contest together.  I agree that the veggie burgers may not be best with all the additives, but I know I will need variety to keep focused.   What is tempeh and seitan?  Right now my grocery list for the start of my challenge consists of greek yogurt, cottage cheese and veggie burgers for protein.  Would love to try new things.  The contest is not top on my list of reasons to take the challenge though.  I want to be stronger, leaner and healthier for me, and for my family.  Do you use tofu at all?

• Katie,

Congrats on beginning another challenge.  Don't worry - the 3rd time is the charm!  :o)

We will all help you keep on track if you need us to.  I am still reading the Body for Life book, but I have yet to come across any dairy as approved foods (other than the cottage cheese).  So my questions are, how are your results since you are including dairy and how are we to get enough calcium if we don't include dairy.  Calcium is so important.  Do you use supplements?

Thanks!

• Hi,

I do use tofu on occasion, and I had been using veggie burgers alot.  Tempeh is fermented soy and seitan is wheat gluten, both high in protein, (find in health food stores) but maybe not enough?  I'm beginning to think that being a vegetarian is not helping my results. It's my first challenge, am on week 9, have gone down 2% in body fat, gained 2 pounds of muscle, lost 6 pounds. I feel better, feel like I've lost some of my stomach, but don't look much different, still wearing the same size. I am getting more muscular, but it doesn't show much. Am getting discouraged, but I will continue to follow the program to the end. I have never missed a workout, gave up drinking, cut out all sugar, and just would have thought I'd be getting better results. Maybe I will in the next few weeks. Will keep you posted.

• Congratulations on the progress results you have so far!!!  They are awesome!  As I said in the other post - it may be slow - but you will reach your goal!  I'm going to look into the other proteins.  Thanks for the info.  I do believe being a vegetarian will slow the results, but it's a part of my life I am not willing to compromise on - SO, I just have to settle for slow and steady!  :o)  I will let you and Katie know if I come across any good recipes this week!  Best of luck to both of you!  And keep me posted - I will do the same for you, because I know I will need extra encouragement when I reach week 7 and beyond!  How many inches have you lost?

• Hello Fellow Veges!

I believe my inch loss so far totals a whole two around my waist. I haven't done any measuring. Unfortunately, the scale hasn't moved for me so far, but I can see the results and I think the weight is muscle replacing fat, very slowly (I am in week 9).

Much of my protein comes from cottage cheese, Greek yogurt (both organic), soy milk and whey protein. I am sure you can find many great recipes from others for all of these. I also like tofu and meat substitutes, but I only use them a few times a week.

Please let me know, all, if you come up with something extra-creative! Check out my lentil taco recipe under the "Kitchen" link if you want!

Stay Healthy!

-Katiebug

• I'm in week 9, have lost 2% body fat and gained 2 pounds of muscle. Lost about 2 inches on my waist, 1/2 inch off my hips, and a 1/2 inch off my thighs. It's better than nothing but was hoping for better results by now. We'll see what happens at the end.

• This is my only successful challenge; the other two failed at about 4 weeks.

I, too, am in week 9 and haven't seen the results I desire-but I keep on truckin' and I will continue to the challenges as long as it takes because I feel amazing!

BTW- NEW DISCOVERY for me! It's called Smart Ground, and it's "veggie protein crumbles." A 1/3 cup servings (there are 6 servings per pack) is 0g fat, 12g protein, 6g carbs. The sodium is 310mg, though. :( Still, it's fabulous! Cooked it with salsa and wrapped it in a tortilla w/ some onions and spinach. Very satisfying.

Just a suggestion....

-Katiebugglet

• I am also a lacto vegetarian (dairy yes; eggs no). I have been eating TVP (textured veggie protein). It is a crunchy stuff and using that for breakfast as cereal; at nights I use it as topping for soup. I noticed that nonfat Greek yogurt has 18g of protein for a 6 oz cup. I am wondering since this is a recent product on the market, BFL book that was written over a decade ago didn't recognize it as a protein...Any comments/feedback is appreciated.

• If you notice Greek yogurt usually has equal amounts of carbs and protein. So for me I consider it 1/2 serving of protein and 1/2 serving of carb. I noticed that some of the veggie bugers and also equal in carbs and protein. This past week for meal 4 and or 5 I have a veggie patty (no bun with all natural salsa) and greek yogurt.

Product example:

Morning Start Spicy Black Bean Burger

Cals120  Fat 4g  Carbs 13g  Protein 11g

Dannon Strawberry Greek Yogurt

Cals120  Fat 0g  Carbs 17g  Protein 12g

Total

Cals 240 Fat 4g Carbs 30 g Protein 23g

Yes this is higher in carbs than protein but what do you expect. The Kroger (store brand) Greek Yogurt has 15g carbs and 14g protein.

Also for veggie patty I prefer:

Quorn Naked Chik'n Cutlet                               80 cals Fat 2.5g carbs 5g protein 11g

Boca Bruschetta Tomato Basil Parmesan    90 cals Fat 1.5g carbs 9g protein 13g

I am a pescatarian (fish egg and dairy)

Bryan

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• I am not a vegetarian but don't like to prepare or cook a lot of meat.  So I do use those morning star bean patty's.  I usually put two on a bed of lettuce for a meal and add salsa.   That gives me enough protein and carbs for one meal.  

Laurie