Shrimp Scampi--need advice

• I just started my first challenge this past Monday (2/7) and I have recently received a lot of great advice on these boards. One of them was that the Eating for Life book is used mostly for people between challenges and not during. I am still trying to learn all I can, and I still dont know what makes a challenge-appropriate meal just that... So my question is this: Is this a recipe that is good for the challenge or should I wait for in between challenges.

2 portions whole wheat pasta

1 Tbsp olive oil

3 cloves garlic

3 Tbsp butter buds

3 Tbsp chicken broth

It calls for RF parm cheese but I leave that out. I have seen each of these ingredients in the BFL book recipes, so I thought it might work but I don't want to be as efficient as I can be.

Any help would be great.

• I would say that this "Shrimp Scampi" recipe is great for two people (2 portions).

I have personally used many of the Eating for Life recipes during my own challenges, with great results.  With that in mind, I did my very first challenge solely by the BFL book guidelines: (palm size protein, fist-size carb, cupped handful of veggies).  It's the only real way to learn your portion sizes. Most of the meals in the EFL book are made to serve 1-8 people (portions again).  You have to learn the "portion rule" and a great way to do that is to do your first challenge without the recipe book.

I think that's where alot of the controversy comes in because people here are trying to get you to learn the important portion rule.

My husbands portions are much larger than mine.  Therefore, he would get "a larger portion" of your above recipe than I would. Does that make sense? It would make perfect sense if you knew the portion rule.

Another thing in some of the EFL recipes: They tend to use alot of cheese. Take, for example, the two cheese sticks and an apple.  I just don't know if that would be enough protein from the cheese sticks?

Anyway ... I was hoping to help with my answer and I don't wish to start any controversy.  Why not call the EAS hotline and they will tell you.

Hope this helps!!