Beef jerky for protein?

• Hubby says it is okay, will make me weigh more because of water weight due to sodium but is fine.

I'm thinking should be avoided but wish he is right.

Thoughts?

--- Kitty

• To get the right amount of protein you would need 3 sticks of beef jerky

240ish calores

21g protein

6 carb

1300+mg sodium

15 g fat

Thoughts?

Keep the faith!

Faithful Renee :0)

• Renee, I am gonna have fun with food facts and you as long as you want to!

Not sure which one you are talking about, ours are a little better except for the sodium. I don't like the sticks and we figured approx. 3 ounces was the size of my palm, soooo... nutrition info is for 1 oz. I multiply times 3...

#1 would be 240 calories but only 30 from fat, 3g total no saturated or trans. Sodium is worse, 1770g., 9g carb all sugar BUT 45g of protein

#2 would be 240 calories w/30 from fat, 3g total w/1.5g saturated, 1740g sodium, 12g carb all sugar, 36g protein

Wow, #2 is the one that claims to be natural!

#1 is great protein but again with the sodium, which is why I am not sure, but hubby says no big deal I will just retain water.

--- Kitty

• I do like Jerky, but as a rule don't eat it regularly. I do, however, find it one of those great things to throw in my purse if I'm going to be somewhere where I need a quick snack. Just be sure you've got plenty of water-the sodium content is high and will tend to make you thirsty.

~To be great is not to be higher than another, but to lift another higher.