What is PB2??

• What exactly is PB2??  I keep reading about it on the boards,  I know it is a peanut butter of some sort, but what exactly is it??  And how do you use it??  Is it a protein or a fat??  And is it even "allowed" on the program??

Thanks!!  :-)

• PB2 is powdered peanut butter.  No peanut butter would ever be considered a protein.  PB2 is a fat and somewhat less than regular, but has sugar.  A tiny I'm sure is fine, but it's on the edge of cheating.  People do things like mix it into a shake for flavoring.

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Thanks ... I think i'll skip it!!

• I personally like PB2 -- it only contains 45 cal..1G fat..3 G sugar...4 G protein for 2 TBLS...I mix it up to put on my apple for a snack and have used it in nutrition shakes...I think its a really good alternative...3 weeks on the program...down 8lbs....my opinion...

• I agree that PB2 is not a suitable protein source by itself, but I don't think I would describe it as the edge of cheating. Chocolate has fat too but there are all kinds of BFL products that contain it. The processing to dehydrate peanuts also removes 75% of the fat. Occasional use as a flavoring or to augment protein is fine. Just like most everything, moderation is the key.

I make a smoothie with 1/2c. skim milk, 1/2c. nonfat yogurt, 1/2 scoop protein powder, 1T PB2 and ice cubes that comes out to 24 grams of protein, 24 grams of carbohydrates and 2 grams of fat. Less than one gram of fat comes from the peanut butter powder.

There are other brands of peanut powders and flours that do not contain added sugar and are less expensive than PB2.

Try here: www.google.com/search

or here: locarbu.com/index.php

or here: www.southerngracefarms.net/peanutflour.html

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• I love the pb2. I think it is fine for oats, or shakes or if you are craving peanut butter. It has few calories and has a bit of fat and carbs and the small amount of sugar won't hinder your progress I am sure.

It is a great alternative to natural peanut butter that is high in fat. Mind you....the fat is not terrible in PB, just better sources out there IMHO.

Anyway, if you are a pb person... go for it. You mix two tablespoons with a bit of water to get the consistency you like and eat.I think it is one of the best most clever inventions!

• Wouldn't have been able to get through my first challenge without it.  There is nothing I needed more than 1 Tbsp for, so didn't even eat a serving size when I had it.  If you are a peanut butter-aholic, it is a great alternative.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• I use it too and it is yummy!  You have gotten some great feedback from everyone!  

Laurie

• I love PB2!!!  I use just a tablespoon in oatmeal for the flavoring, not for the protein.  That small amount I use is not enough of a protein source....I also sprinkle in a little bit of cocoa (not too much!) and a packet of Splenda and it's like a bowl of Reese's oatmeal :-)  To make it a balanced meal, I'll have a shot of whey protein powder with it.

I also love the PB2 in smoothies and shakes.  I've used it on rice cakes too - although  you have to eat the rice cakes right away or else the rice cake will be a tad soggy on top, as opposed to regular peanut butter.  When I've used it on rice cakes, I'll eat some protein alongside it to make it balanced.

It's great because you can get the flavor of peanut butter in only 1 - 2 tablespoons and it's way lower fat than regular peanut butter.  The sugar content is only 1 gram per serving, and 5 gms. carbs.

Susan Berna

2010 Body-for-LIFE Grand Master Champion

• I didn't buy "PB2" but thanks to checking out Saralyn's sources, I found it at Trader Joes sells it as "Baker Josef's Peanut Flour".  They told me it's being discontinued, so if you want some might wanna go grab it.  The bag states that it is "partially defatted".  

I'm a peanut butter freak and I've missed it the last couple weeks.  I had to taste it as soon as I got it home.  I mixed up just a spoon of it with a little water (as suggested earlier) and it was yummy!  I plan on using it sparingly, however I did just make a Banana Peanut butter shake and it was so wonderful!   I used a little less protien powder because the nutrition label states that according to the amount I used (about 3 T) that would be 18g of protein and I used 1/2 a banana.  I also used a smidge of truvia.

Have to say I was pleased............

• I'm sorry MAKE THAT 8 GRAMS OF PROTEIN

3 T would measure something like this:  55 cal

2g fat

0 trans fat

0 cholesterol

0 sodium

550g sodium

4 carbs

2g fiber

8g protein