What are you eating on top of your baked potato?

• Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

I’ve searched the forums and the web and other than a few recipes I haven’t found much. I am wondering what everyone tops their baked potatoes with?

We are a classic butter and low fat sour cream family, maybe a little shredded cheddar, nothing too extreme mind you but things we will cut out on plan.

I’ve got a few ideas:

Chicken broth

Low fat dressings (in moderation)

Low fat chili (maybe?)

Salsa

Cottage cheese (I can do this, spouse says “NO WAY!”)

Butter buds (Have to buy some)

Other?

I know some of you have some great ideas, we are moving towards plain but we are doing it in stages (we are not “on plan” right now, we are dancing around it until I get back from upcoming travel, then we are full deal Lucille).

I do most of the cooking and I’d be a fool to toss out naked baked potatoes and tell the family “CHOW DOWN, DEMS GOOD PLAIN!”. A revolt I would have.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

• Cottage cheese is very good on potatoes

You can replace sour cream with plain non-fat greek yogurt (tastes just the same).

I like greek yogurt and salsa mixed together.

You can use a pinch of 2% mexican cheese

chili beans

Just make sure whatever you use, you count the carbs/proteins towards your total for your meal.

There is no need to ever eat them plain.  If this is an eating plan for life, you need to enjoy what you are eating.  Chow down!!!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• I eat them both plain as well as I like to use salsa, a dash of butter buds or sometimes a pinch of fat free shedded cheese (kraft brand).

• Steamed broccoli with either butter buds or shredded fat free cheddar sounds really good to me! I'll have to try that!

• Either plain with S&P or salsa.

• oh bdmom is right, the greek yogurt is wonderful!!  I just got some nonfat that is 23 grams protein per serving (1 cup)!  But even though you aren't eating 1 cup on your potato, it's still way better numbers than sour cream.  And combined with salsa????  oh yummy yummy

I do Promise Light butter, just a little.  mixing my veggies with the potato makes the veggies go down better too.  Spike seasoning is good too.

• Are we allowed to use I can't believe its not butter?

April

• Doe Greek yogurt count as protein or carb?

• That's a great idea to mix greek yogurt with salsa. Plain salsa is a little spicy for me (even the mild). I think I'll try this.

Come visit my blog!

http://fittrac.blogspot.com

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you'll be right!

• I eat a baked sweet potato plain. Lots of flavor

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• Bryan:  that is my favorite, by far too.

Every once in awhile, a good white potato hits the spot though.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Greek yogurt tastes gross to me. Yuk! I just do either salsa or plain. Sometimes, I cut the potato into cubes, and bake the cubes with just a little olive oil, like 1 or 2 tablespoons, mix it with spices and herbs, whatever you like. I like it super hot so I put red pepper on it with some italian seasoning, and bake it in the oven until it's crispy. Yum.

• I would check the I cant believe it's not butter info and you probably wont want to after you do.  If it's the original recipe 1 tbs is 80 calories with 8g of fat!

I will use some steak sauce that may  be left over, or juices from the chicken or steak if I was  having that.  Butter buds are ok also.  I've been thick slicing my taters and seasoning them with spices and baking them flat like big chips (pizza pan in the oven) havent needed ANY sauce on them since I've done that,  Same with sweet taters.  Slice them with my nice new mandolin and put them on a pizza sheet and bake them!

• One of my favorite things to add to a baked potato-- OR anything that you would typically add sour cream to--- is fat free Greek yogurt! It's a FANTASTIC substitute. I also use it in dips, adding various spices/herbs and then dipping veggies. It adds a good protein and flavor to whatever you're eating. Delicious.

• "I will use some steak sauce that may  be left over, or juices from the chicken or steak if I was  having that. "

Yeah that's a great idea, D Burg. The potatoes absorb the juices and A-1 nicely. Are butter buds good for you, though. I always thought that would be just as bad as butter or margarine.

Sweet Tea, Greek yogurt is a God send. It's great for lots of things, including snacks.

Come visit my blog!

http://fittrac.blogspot.com

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you'll be right!