Diet Soda

• Hi Friends! I'm wondering what the opinion is on Diet Soda...I love Diet Pepsi, and usually have one once per day if that. I do get my adequate amount of water. Any ideas?

Leggs

• Hi Leggs,

I'm only about to start week 3 of my first challenge tomorrow, but in my humble opinion, if you have time to squeeze half a litre of water into your day, then have that instead of a diet pepsi. That equates to an additional 3 1/2 extra litres a week!

I understand things like diet soft drinks appeal to people because they are so sweet and are seen as safe-sin-foods in some respects. They stop us from eating a bag of M&Ms because you are still "treating" yourself without the remorse of actually cheating.

In my experience as a person who has tried every diet out there, soft drinks slow down progress. You're body doesn't crave it, its all in the mind. Only feed your body what it needs.

Just my two cents!

Good Luck!

Jules82

• Good advice Jules...I love the 'bite' of the diet soda, and of course the sweetness does calm my cravings like you said.  Do you know what it is about the (diet) soft drinks that slow progress?

Thanks,

Leggs

• It can affect your digestion by altering the PH balance in your stomach thanks to all the sweeteners. I actually learned this from my dentist as I have a bit of acid erosion on the edges of my teeth, (not good for your smile either!), but he obviously wanted to promote healthy eating for the benefit of my teeth and gums and asked if I drank diet soft drinks. I felt like I was admitting to murder, blushed, and mumbled yes... The first thing he said was, "Do you know what aspartame is?" Not a clue! Apparently it is a chemical found in 99% of (diet) soft drinks which turns to formaldehyde in your liver! OMG! So yeah, avoid if you can! I think it even says on the label something like warning contains traces of aspartame.

Have you tried home made ice tea or maybe a soda stream? Maybe tonic water and some fresh lemon juice? Personally, I'd just stick to the water.

Jules82

• Sweeteners, can trigger the exact hormonal mechanisms as the real deal.  The hormone insulin can often spiked by aspartame and Splenda.  This leads directly to greater amount of fat being stored.

This can also causes a spike in appatite and lead to over eating.

Because it is "sin" free it allows many people to think that I have been so good so now I can have a piece of apple pie.

The Ph of soda also causes other issues.

• Ok, you've convinced me of the evils of Diet Soda! Now, speaking of sweeteners, what about Stevia? I use a stevia sweetener for foods like oatmeal and other things...

• Great question leggsmomof3! Research is still debating the connection between Stevia and a rise in insulin. To be on the safe side, eat whole foods, not processed foods ( that includes Stevia) and you will be better off.  If you do this consistently, your desire for sugar will melt away along with your waist line.  I have seen it happen a thousand times.  I have experienced it myself. I was once a Diet Coke and cake fan.

• So, when putting stevia on my oatmeal, along with milk, cinnamon and crushed walnuts, should I use a small amount of brown sugar instead? I can't fathom eating oatmeal with just cinnamon and not have it a little sweet...the point of BFL is not just to eat clean, but also to enjoy our food as well, correct?

• Here are a few ideas that may interest you. Perhaps these options will give you the sweetness you desire. They are delicious!

1) Cut an apple (remove the skin) place it in the microwave for 1 minute. Once the apple is soft and juicy its ready. Top your Oatmeal with it and make sure to get enough juice. It's sweet and delicious.

2) Add vanilla extract

3) Place some strawberries in a blender or microwave (similar to the apple topping) and add it oatmeal.

4) Place a sunnyside-up egg on top of oatmeal and the yoke will spill over

5) Add raisons or apple sauce

Best of luck!

Lori

• For some continuing to drink diet sodas is a trigger for sweets or unauthorized foods.  Leggs, I understand wanting to enjoy food but try as clean as you can.  You might be surprised at how much you like something plain.  I eat my oatmeal with nothing added.  I didn't at first, but just like I didn't particularly like working out, I enjoyed it after making the change.  My body adapted and so did I.

I hope you find what works for you.  Hope this helps. :-)

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• ...remember the slogan, "change your mind, change your body, change your life."

• The apple and vanilla extract ideas sound great Lori! I can't fathom the egg on oatmeal though...but it sounds great on a whole wheat English Muffin!

• I can't do oatmeal that way either leggsmomof3.  I have oatmeal and then 3 egg whites from boiled eggs (I take out the yolk).

• I have to admit, I don't like what a lot of you have said. I guess the TRUTH HURTS!

I really appreciate all of your input!

Leggs

• It's hard to let go of the old eating habits.  Try it, after awhile you won't miss it. :-)  It took me about 1 month to get off drinking sodas.  Before that, I was mostly drinking 2 or 3 a day and almost no water.  Can you imagine how I felt or how my skin looked?  Neither was good. :-)

Let us know how you do.