Turkey Loaf Variation

• I tried something a little different with the turkey loaf recipe. Instead of salsa I used spaghetti sauce. It was a nice change of pace.

The basic recipe is

• 1.5 pounds ground turkey
    • 1 chopped onion
    • 1 cup spaghetti sauce
    • 4 egg whites (or 1 cup egg substitute)
    • 1 cup rolled oats
    • Italian seasoning to taste (oregano, basil, garlic, rosemary, sage, marjoram)

Mix together, put in loaf pan and bake at 350 for about an hour.

Next time I may try pizza sauce and sausage seasoning. Maybe a hint of lowfat parmesan and crushed red peppers.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Sara,

Sounds good! Jerry made some mini turkey loaves the other night...will have to make some of these up for next week! Thanks!! =)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Ummm.. this sounds delicious. I made something similar and added some raisons-very good! I like the idea of rolled oats. (I usually add bread crumbs) Thanks for sharing!

• Continued experimenting tonight with a jar of pizza sauce, Italian seasoning, crushed red peppers and a bit of parmesan cheese. The kids loved it. I like the spaghetti sauce version best so far. I'll have to put some thought into what I try next . . .

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• was going to make a pot of turkey chili tonight but think I'll go this route instead! Thanks for the idea!

• JUNI!!! Where art thou?????

• You are welcome, junibird! For my next variation I would like to do barbecue. But first I need to find a BBQ sauce without too much added sugar.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• I was shopping for ground meat the other day and noticed that the 93/7 turkey has the same nutrition info as 93/7 beef!  I always thought the turkey would be better since it cost more.  Our family likes the taste of beef so much more, so I will only buy the ground turkey BreasT if it's reasonably on sale.  I think that's at least 98/2?

• OptiGirl - my grocery store has an all natural 96/4 ground beef!!  It was a lucky find on my part, they don't have it all the time when they do I usually get a few and freeze them!

• I have compared ground turkey to beef many times and have found beef always wins when you get down to value per calorie.  I compared some turkey burgers in the freezer section the other day and was shocked. The store brand had fantastic nutritionals (high protein, low fat, only a few seasonings, no added fillers) and the Jennie-O brand was disgusting.  It pays to always read your labels!!